Plant Database Mis-information.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Malcolm Mann, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Malcolm Mann

Malcolm Mann New Seed

Your data base hase given a 5 star rating to Chinese wisteria. I am new to Garden Stew, but grew up on a dairy farm and I know B.S. when I see it. Chinese wisteria is one of the most destructive, albeit "pretty" invasive species U.S. citizens have to deal with today. There is an American species, cultivar
    'Amythest Falls' which is superior in every way.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The ratings are given by individual members based on their experience with the plant. It's their opinion and therefore is not wrong nor B.S.

You are free to add your own opinion about the plant on the plantpage. Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria)

With opposing opinions, other member will have a chance to make up their own minds about whether that plant is something they want to have in their garden.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

AND I might add..... by the time we all get started we all realize that some plants grow like crazy in some places and maybe not in others.....

I wouldn't say that about Chinese Wisteria but I sure would about simple little Bee Balm.... It has taken over my front gardens. I tear it out with my bare hands...but I know...I don't through it out I but it where it will have lots of room to grow..

My hubby and I laugh about the idea that something is invasive or not..

5. Malcolm Mann

Malcolm Mann New Seed

Humorous Invaders.

I can hook you up with a chinese wisteria start and let you come to your own conclusion about its invasivness. Have you got a frame home? Siding? You're going to look back on your mischevious bee balm and LAUGH!

Advertisement
  6. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I had to go check this plant out since it got a little attention over here. Yep I still don't know it. But its pretty.... Good luck with that :)

7. Malcolm Mann

Malcolm Mann New Seed

I found the Amythest Falls american wisteria for about 40 bucks in Toledo.
    It blooms the first year, a little later than the Chinese or Japanese types, tops out at 30 feet , has smaller leaves, if lightly pruned, it reblooms later in the summer and has no cited online history of de-siding a house or lifting one off it's foundation.

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

People also like Vinca, boxwood, privet, burning bush, ivy, Bradford pears, Mimosa trees, Japanese honeysuckle, and lots of other weeds.

Kay likes this.
  9. Malcolm Mann

Malcolm Mann New Seed

Oh, those funny escapees.

Your preaching to the choir there.
    Funny story about the Bradford pear. The real culprit is the Callery pear, which is an ornamental pear along the lines of a crab-apple, the Bradford pear was a much lauded and long awaited fruitless form of the tree. After it's release it was an instant hit and a big item on everyones wish list. So much so demand outstripped supply to such an extent that any and every Callery pear was sold as a Bradford pear. Some thirty years later "Bradford" pears are in the woods.
    A similar thing occured with euonymous. The native E. atropurpureus is in danger of extinction but escaped varieties make navigating many woods difficult due to trip hazards.

10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The Missouri Dept of Conservation is calling the Bradford Pear invasive, and urging everyone to cut theirs down on their property. I have a couple in my pasture, but they got there on their own, I did not plant them, nor know what they were until recently. They are lovely when in bloom. Whether or not they are your Callery Pear or a real Bradford Pear, I would not know. A friend has them in her front yard and always gripes about the mess hers make in the fall. But Missouri has them all over the place now. I doubt most people will cut them down because they paid good money to some nursery for them.

Kudzu was supposed to stop road side erosion because it has 50 to 60 ft tap roots. Now it is known as "the vine that ate the South". They have found out goats pastured in affected areas can kill them off.

I have an invasive wisteria, so it is likely the chinese kind. I did not plant it either. [not in my yard anyway]... And those Asian lady beetle imposters are awful!!!!

Some folks do not like violets, but I love them. I put them in pots, in my flower beds, or elsewhere around my place where I would like some.

11. Malcolm Mann

Malcolm Mann New Seed

Multiflora roses are USDA approved escappees also.

12. purpleinopp

Anyone who plants a Bradford/Callery pear after a whiff of those blooms must have no or much different sense of smell. Same with privet. The stinky ones are puzzling.

This area gets mowed periodically, easy to see how tenacious and tough this one is, and how its' beauty was the reason for people loving it and spreading it around... Hope the pic satisfies any urges for now. Yeah, I wouldn't cultivate MR, but it's one I understand seeing out there a lot more than some others.

[​IMG]
    Multiflora rose, escaped and on the move ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The multiflora roses here have small white flowers, and they are a nuisance for sure. Those in the picture look very nice. [but if they are invasive, I will pass!] The Multiflora roses in TX also had small white flowes, and I saw cattle just munching away on those things. Eeewww...

14. purpleinopp

There are white ones along the road too, I just like the pink better. Heckuva pretty weed but very prolific. At 10 mph (it's a gravel/dirt road,) it takes about 30 seconds to drive by one of the patches.