Planting Calla Lilies?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The one's I planted last year didn't do well at all. They grew, but never produced a flower bud. I don't think I was keeping them wet enough.
    So I'm going to try again... this time putting some in a big container.
    I've read that they can be planted anytime in my area (Zone 9a).
    Is that true? Can they be planted in the fall here? We do get freezing temps but usually not until December.
    Shall I plant the bulbs in October... or go ahead and wait until Spring?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Moist, fertilize monthly, morning sun/afternoon shade in our summers. zones 8-10 they can be planted any time of the year but make sure to plant/transplant at least 2 months before the first frost....that gives the new roots time to establish themselves or the old roots time to recuperate from the move.

I was checking into planting some last year and when I found this info I realized that I have no place where I can keep them moist and with only morning sun...so I changed my mind.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Toni... I thought I had the perfect spot for them, it just wasn't possible to keep the soil moist. That's why I'm going for the container... but the container isn't going to fit in that bed, so I've chosen another location that should get it enough sun/shade. :fingerscrossed:
    Now... to see if I can find some bulbs locally... or just may have to order some.