Planting plants question....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I got a package from Cathy today (thanks, Cathy)with forsythia plants, tiger lily bulbs and canna lilly roots and hollyhock and 4 o'clock seeds.

I planted the forsythia plants, tiger lily bulbs went to the ground as did the canna lilies. I am wondering if I should have put these in the pots first. Last year my canna lilies died when I left them out in pots during winter. Should I dig them out in fall? Or mulch around them?

Also, should I sow the seeds now or wait till next spring? The weather here gets cooler starting September.

TIA
    Tina.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know that living in Britain our weather conditions are different Tina but I always lift my cannas and keep them indoors during winter. They aren't hardy plants and will get killed off with any frosts you may get. I would also hold off planting the seeds until spring unless you have a greenhouse.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks, Eileen.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I can only comment on the Hollyhocs and 4 o'clocks seeds--
    I think that you could plant some hollyhock seeds outside in the ground where you want to grow them now ...as well as some in a greenhouse or a windowsill to keep sheltered and potted-on as necessary throughout the winter.
    The Mirabilis jalapa, I would plant in a propagater next spring so that they would be ready for planting out mid to late May.