Plants mis -labeled

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Aug 21, 2013.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Plants being mis- labeled. Wanted 4 pack of early good tomatoes. Was cherry. Been giving them away by ice cream bucket full. And many more coming

donna in nc likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Is this good or bad? :D :D

I bought a cherry tomato plant, it is as tall as me, and I'm not sure I'll get a little tomato off of it or not :-?

Now green beans I have lots of and I am not sure this is good or bad :rolleyes:

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh boy ... nothing is worse than waiting patiently for a plant to grow and it being the wrong thing!
    I have bought loads of tomatoes this year too, and beans. Everyone is tired of eating beans!!

5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Think will buy seeds next year.But have seen people putting labels back-in wrong plant. Or let their children play with them.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I start all my own seeds, but even then, sometimes the seeds are mislabeled. Now, that is a bummer, especially when I am selling them. Last year my sweet million cherry tomatoes weren't sweet millions. I don't know what they were, but they weren't cherry tomatoes. I had a boatload of seeds left from the packet, but I bought new ones this year just in case it was the seeds and not me mixing something up.

fatbaldguy likes this.
  7. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I always start my own seeds but years with a late frost I sometimes have to buy plants. Its late in the planting season and the plants are picked over and its common to get miss marked plants. :-x

8. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

I can't even begin to imagine how annoying this must have been for you. Waiting patiently on something growing then when it eventually does, its not what you wanted! Lets hope you have better luck next time :)

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

"I can't even begin to imagine how annoying this must have been for you. Waiting patiently on something growing then when it eventually does, its not what you wanted! Lets hope you have better luck next time Smile"

sgmgarden,

this isn't always a bad thing, we get to try something we may not have ever tried otherwise and it might be an excellent producer.

I participated in a seed exchange this past winter and got about 50 varieties of seeds I had never heard of, so even if they were mis labeled, I wouldn't even know. I grew some delicious new tomato varieties I would have never bought/tried.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  10. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I set out 8 pepperocini peppers that I started from seed. These were to be used as trade for produce I don't grow. I got 3 pepperocini and 5 of a bell variety. I suppose I'll be shopping for OP pepperocini seeds again this year.

The good news is, I have enough bell peppers frozen to last until 2016.

11. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

Carolyn, I agree with you. I guess sometimes it could be seen as a nice surprise? :)

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Maybe today...(depending on the weather and my customer count), I can get a few pictures up of the "new to me" varieties I grew this year....many delicious surprises. I was supposed to get a black cherry that someone found in their garden and is a little different than the regular variety available and it turns out the ones he sent me (that I grew anyway) were a mixed batch of seeds. I am growing two very nice large cherry tomatoes called "Tommy toe Pink"...mmmmm, delicious. I would have not chosen it thinking "that isn't what I am looking for", but I am glad (to his embarrassment) that he mixed something up.

13. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

I will look back later to see if you have managed to share any of your pictures with us :D

14. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

One of my customer owns grocery store. Said people putting labels in wrong spot. a lot Companies might use sticky label on plant box instead. I like that idea.

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have gotten roses from various nurseries that were NOT what the label said they were. And these were not labels that customers could play with. One was supposed to be a climbing rosa Summer Snow. It came from one of the nurseries in Tyler, TX. It was a lovely shade of dark pink, and I loved it anyway. My 'rosa walmart' is one of those boo-boos. I have no idea what rose it really is, but it is very pretty anyway. It was supposed to be those pretty red roses you get from florists with the long stems. 'Rosa Walmart' is a lovely little climbing tea rose, and is a pinkish burgundy. I bought it at Walmart back in the mid 90s.

You are lucky to be getting so many tomatoes. My tomatoes made some tomatoes this year, but not in that kind of quantity. And my green beans are just putzing along, not a bean pod on them.

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I purchased a "yellow" raspberry last year from TSC and to my chagrin, it isn't a yellow raspberry. It is a great, thumb sized, red raspberry that actually tastes good, but not what I was expecting to get.