PlantStew - vegetables?

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by mylonite, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mylonite

mylonite New Seed

I'm thinking that I'm going to be tremendously active in PlantStew - I'm the kind of anal that will yield lots and lots of useful edits.

The thing is, I'm not really sure how it works for vegetables. When I use the advanced search and do NO modification except selecting vegetables, I only get one result. I can use genus&species name to pull up some others, but I am leery of editing them, since there are many, many varieties or cultivars sharing a single genus&species name.

For instance, I have several varieties of pepper here that are genus Capsicum, species Capsicum annuum. The PlantStew page lists this as a cayenne pepper, which is only one of many peppers of that species. Do I suggest the same genus&species over and over again? I'm anxious to start adding all the nifty veggies I'm growing =)

Thanks for any help you can give me...

2. Loading...

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Frank will probably be the one to help you with this. He will be along soon, so you can get started.
    Glad to have you participate!!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank can answer this better, but since Capsicum annuum is a genus that has many, many cultivars with a variety of names it would seem that yes each one you have needs to be submitted to be properly added.

5. mylonite

mylonite New Seed

no worries on the timetable here - I won't have pics of anything but seeds for some time anyway. I looked for a bit hoping to find some 'duplicate' species, but didn't see any in my limited search. I didn't want to use the suggest tool until I had made sure there wasn't some other workaround I was meant to use.

By the way, I absolutely love the plantstew concept (and implementation, kudos to frank) and it will be nice to have a free site (ours!) pulling up in google with common searches. I think you're going to see a huge influx (and associated positive feedback loop) as the resource grows.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Mylonite, thanks for your interest in contributing to PlantStew :stew1: When I imported the initial set of plants into PlantStew they consisted of species only. This means that we will have to add any cultivars and varieties in individually.

It is perfectly acceptable to suggest the following:
    - Capsicum annuum 'Variety 1'
    - Capsicum annuum 'Variety 2'
    - Capsicum annuum 'Variety 3'
    etc...

There is no problem in suggesting duplicate species if the cultivar is different. In fact that's the only way it can work :)

About your vegetable observation, it is true that they are pretty much non-existent when you use the advanced search. However this does not mean that the plant itself does not exist within PlantStew, in fact it may be there but just not labelled as a Vegetable in its Plant Types property. Once you label as a plant as a vegetable it will automatically appear in the advanced search when you search for vegetables only.

I hope this makes sense, please ask me to elaborate if needs be. Since PlantStew has only been online for about 2 months now it is still in the early stages and as more data is added it will get stronger. There is soooo much that can be done with it once the data is there and I am already feverishly working on new features/tweaks/improvements that I will add as soon as they are completed.

If you have any other future feedback/questions/suggestions please let me know as I love to hear them! :stew2:

// frank

7. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

Re: PlantStew - not really well suited to vegetables?

YAY! Another pepper head! What varieties are you growing?