Please help with this plant: Phlox, Ivy??

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by IllinoisGarden, Apr 7, 2012.

1. IllinoisGarden

IllinoisGarden New Seed

This plant spreads and has taken over the side pathway and around the corner of the house. It seems to be some sort of ivy, but I'm not sure. It's the big broad leaves that really throw me, kind of a vine, but it doesn't go up walls or fences, just along the ground. The flowers sort of had me thinking some sort of Phlox, but then the leaves weren't right for that I didn't think. It flowers early, although the surprise frost we had the other night kind of left them a little worse for wear in the picture here. They are actually pretty, but too invasive. They are hardy though. My husband sprayed the path with weed killer last summer so we could walk it, and they came back full strength this spring.

[​IMG]
    unknown flower ( photo / image / picture from IllinoisGarden's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

That is Lunaria annua or Money Plant. Its not a vine, but it can be easily removed by pulling them out of the ground before they go to seed. They are biennial so the first year they just have a couple of leaves and don't stand very tall until the next year when they bloom.

4. IllinoisGarden

IllinoisGarden New Seed

WOW who knew? I have my very own money plant. Wish it really produced money. Thanks for the information FlowerFreak22.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

IG-the reason it is called money plant is that in the fall when it goes to seed. It gets flat disc shaped seed pods about the size of a silver dollar. When the skin sheds off of the seed pod from both sides it has a silvery hue. They can be picked and used in dried arrangements because they have such a unique look. They are also called Silver Dollar plant. I have them in my cottage garden and do keep them controled by pulling the new growth out. But they are a really neat self seeding plant. :stew1:

6. IllinoisGarden

IllinoisGarden New Seed

Great to know how they got the name. Hubby asked me when I told them what I found out here why there were called that. Now I can answer. LOL

Cool about the seed pods. I look forward to that. Maybe I can take some of them and put them where I actually would like to have them. LOL They are a pretty little plant.