Potatoes, will I be able to plant a second crop this summer?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by margie12u, Jun 8, 2013.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

I have some red pots. and some white they will be ready I think in about 2 weeks or so, Will I be able to plant a second crop this summer or is it to hot for them, This is my 1st. year for them,We are in zone 6 Thank you all Margie :-?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Margie, I don't know why not other than make sure you aim for a short season potato, something like yukon gold would do great. I started some really late last year (like July) and they did great for me.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am also in zone 6, southern Missouri.

You should be able to grow a second crop in zone 6.

I am getting some barrels from a friend whose work gives them away... I want to make a potato barrel to grow them in, it saves space, and the potatoes love it. I will fill it with compost and manure and what not this summer, so it ought to be ready by spring. And I will make some holes in the sides for drainage.

This season, I have two raised beds plus 1 row in another of potatoes. I have red and white/Russet potatoes growing, and they are looking good.

You can also keep covering the potato plants with soil and or straw before they die off, and they will make even more taters. I have read of people using tires for their potatoes. You fill one with soil, and plant your taters. When the plants get so big, you add another tire and more soil...make it has high as you like. I also read where some people like to use those black trash sacks. Not sure how that works, but they say it does.

5. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

This year, I used strictly straw for one row, and dirt for the other three rows. I didn't have many potatoes last year, so I'm hoping for bumper crop this year.