Powis Castle Artemesia pruning

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

In a customer's landscape we were doing the fall tidy. A crew member cut the big Artemesias back, about 6-8 inches from the ground. Yikes! They did it before I gave direction... They were big, healthy plants. We don't see it a lot, and the worker just assumed it needed to be cut back.
    I did a bit of Googling, and am reading that it should be cut back in late winter-early spring.
    Anybody have this plant? What do you do to maintain it? We are in zone 5, so hardy to -20°F here.
    Think the plants will survive?

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kay, you can't kill Artemisia, Powis Castle or otherwise. We have Silver Queen and I just cut it back last week. When it gets leggy, or starts to get those little seed heads, I cut it to the ground.
    I'm sure the Powis Castle will come back bigger and stronger.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep, Powis Castle is there to stay. I have them in both the front and back garden. Chop them back when they start looking worn and they will be back pretty as ever in no time. Down here they grow year round but maybe not in Nebraska.

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Toni, Marlin, Thanks guys. It puts my mind at ease. These were two big healthy plants. I mean, like 3 feet tall! It was the first time we had worked at this landscape and my instinct was to leave them alone. I guess I won't have to fire anybody HaHa :D
    I will be anxious to see what they do next spring.