Pretty, Pretty.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by eileen, May 3, 2009.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just love this little acer I have growing in the back garden don't you? I have a collection of 6 now and am hoping to add a pink leaved variety to them soon. :-D

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh Yes it is a pretty pretty .

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I'm partial to Acers, Eileen. The leaves are such pretty shades and they remind me of fall in upstate NY.

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

That is pretty! Thats a tree right,,lol. Sorry but i had to make sure. Do the leaves stay like that all summer. I'm asking because if that will grow here, that would look really good next to my little house, with those colors. Do they get big?

Sorry Eileen for all the questions, but i do really like that.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, it's a sweetie! :D I like them too but have little room for them unfortunately. I could squeeze in some real minis, and I really ought to go and photograph my friend's Acer-collection for you, Eileen.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I'm glad you asked about it Biita. I'm wondering about it too. It looks like a pretty little tree, doesn't it? I'm going to look for them at the nursery.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I really like that Eileen! I'd love one but I think it would get way too much wind and cold here.
    Oh yes, please do!!

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Very pretty indeed, Eileen. It does remind me of fall. My favorite time of the year.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh yes Eileen--that is a gem alright. Are the other Acers that you have this same sort of ornamental Japaneese-sort? There are some real beauties. I would like to see some fotos of some other ones if possible.

I tried one once but the openess and coldness was just too much for it. I may not be able to grow the, but I certainaly do appreciat them in other people's gardens.

11. eileen

Biita my acers only grow as high as I want them to. I trim them about twice/three times a year to encourage them to grow bushier and lower to the ground.
    This one looked more like a garden rake when I bought it (cheaply) two years ago but has begun to fill out quite nicely. The garden centre that sold it to me obviously didn't know exactly what it was because they thought it was dying as it's leaves weren't green. :rolleyes: Their loss, my gain!! :D
    None of mine are any taller than 3&1/2 feet. In fact the one in the piccie is the tallest one I have. It's called Acer Palmatum 'Katsura' and is a favourite tree with bonsai growers because of its lovely foliage.
    My garden gets hit by rain, hail, snow, frost and gale force winds but all my acers survive the onslaught well without any special attention from me.
    Ask as many questions as you like as I'm more than willing to give you any more information you might need. :-D

12. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Great picture, I like the color contrast between the tree and the background. Is that Grape Hyacinth under it?

13. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Thank you Eileen. Its small enough then for what i have in mind. Now to see if it will grow here.

14. eileen

FlowerF those are grape hyacionths to the right of the acer. Well spotted. :-D On the left is one of my Japanese azaleas about to bloom. Behind the tree is a Hawthorn and to the left (behind) you can just see my apple tree which is in bud.
    Sjoerd I'll have a look for photographs of my other acers and if I can't find them then I'll take some more for you.

15. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Lovely Eileen. We have one, also a rescue from a garden centre, and we grow it in a pot by the pond. I love the spring colours and the autumn show they acers put on.

16. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Thanks, you have an amazing garden there Eileen. Can't wait to see pictures of the pink soon. :D