Propagate Hoya - will this work?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by songlim18, Dec 1, 2008.

1. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

Two days ago, I cut my 18" long Hoya multiflora (Shooting star hoya) into 3 parts as I want it to branch and simultaneously, create new Hoya. I then place the 2nd and 3rd cuttings (with at least 5 leaves but remove those at the lower end) into new potting mix without any root hormone. I spray some water and keep it in a translucent plastic bag (tied the bag but left a hole) as I do not have any transparent cover. The two bags are under partial shade. This morning,when I open the bag, the leaves of my Hoya are still a little damp and tiny water vapour in the bag. Will this work? I wonder will it root without any root hormone? How long will take to root? How often should I mist it? I would appreciate any advise with thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Rosebud
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I can't give you any advice on how to propgate except to say that I have a Hoya 'Bella' songlim. It was given to me as a couple of cuttings by a friend. I just put it in normal multi purpose compost and it rooted. I have mine hanging indoors by our front door which has floor to ceiling windows around it so plenty of light. As far as bushing out, I keep on cutting mine back in the hope that it will bush but so far no luck, apart from the odd branch here and there. I have had plenty of lovely flowers this year but the branches are very long which is a shame as the flowers are not shown off to their advantage. Sorry I can't be more helpful. How are your cuttings doing now.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Gardengirl they have roots develope on the long stems afried got me started and I've never seen one bush out.I have another one started the same way.

5. Stephinalta

Stephinalta Seedling

Ive always rooted hoya in a glass of water on a window ledge, except the few times when a leaf has broke off, I stick those right in the soil with the rest of the plant & it roots by itself.

Steph

6. BeyerT

BeyerT New Seed

That's exactly what our gardener has done.