Propagating Roses

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by renj, Jun 2, 2013.

1. renj

renj New Seed

Is it possible to start a new plant from a stem of another rose bush? If so how is the best way to do this?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There's the involved way and the easy way. ;)

Fall two years ago I took 4 cuttings of a bush rose, used the special rooting soil and hormone powder. Two of them grew roots but neither lived very long.

Spring 2 years ago I took cuttings from a climbing rose and another rose bush, stripped leaves off the bottom 3 inches and stuck them in pots of dirt, watered when needed and left them sit for about a year. The climber cutting is now 4 feet long and putting out more branches and the bush cutting has taken root and putting out new leaves just not much growth yet.

From my experience either way has the same chance of success. ;)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toni--I will try your second method. I've tried the first & it didn't work. I have also tried layering & that didn't work. So maybe 3rd way is the charm.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The roses I have propagated rooted best when I kept them on the north side of the house where it was damper and protected from the sun. Many roses are grafted on hardy root stock so cuttings may not be as vigorous as the originals, but still well worth the effort. Be patient, mine seemed to take a long time to root, but as long as their is a green stem there is hope.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jewell, I have a landscape rose that I have been wanting to propogate. I haven't been able to find another in the stores.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

When I do roses, I use rooting hormone and a good potting soil and then after watering a bit place the pot in a plastic bag sealed to help keep it moist. Works like a charm every time. I usually cram many little stems into one pot.

8. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Last year (Spring), I cut 5/6 small branches out my rose and stuck them in the garden. Two of them are growing strong and sturdy with new growth. Any idea when I can expect them to bloom?

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, here is a link to a discussion we had about propagating roses http://www.gardenstew.com/about20913.html

Tina, don't expect a young rose to blossom for the first year. In fact, it shouldn't be allowed to. Blossoming takes a large amount of energy, which a young rose had best put into developing roots and stems. The second year is a good time to develop flowers.