Pull ‘em Out, Chop ‘em Off—Lay Those Mothers Down !

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Oct 21, 2024 at 4:15 PM.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I hold my hand up to not being on here very much the past weeks, but i is time foe a field day in the allotment. We have been busy, busy here and there.

Pull ‘em out— we have harvested the last tom, processed them and pulled the “vines” out. It all looks a bit desolate and sad in the greenhouse now:
    IMG_4599.jpeg

Chop ‘em off— we are beginning to chop off the decorative grass plants and bloomed-out perennials.

This decorative grass plant had grown into a massive stand. You can see the size that it was if you notice the round, light brown circle extending out towards the metal siding.
    IMG_4594.jpeg

We tried to corral it with roofing tiles. It won’t completely work, but perhaps it will retard it somewhat.
    IMG_4603.jpeg

We laid those sharp grass blades down on a nearby bed as the ground layer of mulch.
    IMG_4595.jpeg

Then came more plant refuse thickening the mulch layer.
    IMG_4616.jpeg

You may think this bed would be finished, but you are wrong; there is still quite a bit more to be cup and piled onto the beds.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 4:31 PM
    Clay_22, Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Lots of hard work there, Sjoerd. And always looking so neat and tidy.

You are certainly an example for me to follow.

Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniel— what an incredibly nice thing to say, mate. A real compliment coming from a garden master like you.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd Wow beautiful layering and great techniques. I agree with Daniel you do a lot of hard work and have been very busy. :smt023
    I do enjoy your pics and descriptions of your garden accomplishments preparing for winter. Very nice work.
    Your city is full of traditions and culture. So much to exhibit just from your lotti.