Purple / green leaves, plant ID please

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by waretrop, Apr 16, 2013.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]

This grew last year but I don't remember what it looked like and I really don't know what this plant is. Hoping, all my good friends here at the greatest place on earth, can help me. :-D

I know you all don't know this but I have some outlaw squirrels out there....they steal all the time....you know, like my labels???? They are so bad I need a Squirrel Policeman here...

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, I have been trying to think of this all day. I even have one, but there is no label out in the flower bed. as soon as I remember I will tell you, unless someone else beats me to it.

4. waretrop

It's a nice looking plant and strong looking so far. Hubby thinks we planted it 3 or 4 years ago but it never did well. Maybe it's where we have it....it's in shade

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yes Barb, It needs full sun. It is a rock garden type plant. It should have a pink raceme (maybe) of flowers.
    I need to move mine also. It only gets morning sun and I think it should do better than it is. I just got mine last year, though.

Bergenia. Which variety I don't know.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

If it's Bergenia cordifolia, it will make a HOT pink flower spike soon and does like shade. Had some in OH.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

With as little sun as our yard gets this plant our has flowered once in 8 years. Unfortunately no tag either. Good to have an ID, thank you Carolyn and Purpleinopp.

Jerry

8. waretrop

Thank you so much everyone. Good to know what it is and to be able to label it. Maybe I'll move it over just a little bit. I'll let you all know what I decide.....

9. purpleinopp

Found a pic - from about 10 years ago!

[​IMG]
    Bergenia cordifolia (from OH) ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, Now is the time to move it. All my books say full sun and when I bought it the tag said it was good for rock gardens. So, maybe move it where it gets more sun at this point and see what happens.
    I moved mine to a more southernly exposure yesterday. It was in a corner that got NE sun and that was it. It didn't seem happy. So, with an addition from the bunnies it got moved to a new spot.

11. purpleinopp

Yeah, it's hard to just say "shade" or "sun" and have actually said much. I can be more specific since I realized I have about 1000 pics from OH.

This plant took a long time to get going, I think that was its' 3rd spring when I took that pic, 4/24/03. It was in this perennial bed, under a large ash tree with pretty high lowest limbs, so early AM and late PM sun, heavily dappled between, probably about 5 total. It was behind the trunk, from this angle, looking north, central OH. Extrapolate that info to your location as you think appropriate. I guess I would just say protect from mid-day sun and it should be happy!

[​IMG]
    front in OH, 2003 ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Barb, This is what the bergenia looks like after I moved it.

13. waretrop

So is that blooming this Spring? Well, Thanks everyone for your info. My hubby thinks we have had this little plant for 6 years and we never noticed it until this year. He knew we put something in there and all this time he thought it died. It very well could be the first time it grew at all.

I don't like to be critical but I have to be a little bit this time. I think this is the most uninteresting plant we have. Now that I know I own it, I want to move it and put it in a more interesting place.

Thank you all for helping me with this little plant.