Question about activity of young wild Turkey

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This morning while I was terrorizing the weeds that were trying to benefit from fertilizer intended for flowers, a movement out of the corner of my eye instantly changed my attention. I quietly waited till again there was more movement. A young wild turkey, clearly of this years brood darted from the cover of some plants, across a small section of lawn to again seek a hiding place in a dense thicket of bushes. I looked around and no, there were no other turkeys in sight. This youngster with wings too small to fly was alone. Hmmmm, I went for my camera.....the turkey took the opportunity to make a quick get away. I returned with camera in hand to an empty bush. Phoo!! Question: Has anyone seen young turkeys, not yet capable of flight separate themselves from parents or flock and look for food on their own? Or is this chick lost and has to 'wing it' till it finds home or mom? I have seen mom with chicks but never a chick alone.

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have never seen a young one by itself. Seems to me it is a bold adventurer, or has gotten lost. Hopefully will find its way back to its mama, or meet its fate!
    I usually see them in big flocks around here.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Poor little guy probably got separated from Mama! I think that she can't be too far and they will re-unite.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, They will call back and forth until they find each other. I guess something could have happened to mother. The baby turkey will be able to feed themselves but not defend themselves against predators.