question about growing morning glorys

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pinkiered, May 26, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I grew mine from seeds. I have them in pots so I can control them later on. But it seems Im doing something wrong.

They are blooming but arent growing. My blue one just started climbing. And is reseeding itself. Im not seeing the blooms durning the day so the blue one must be blooming at night as well as the "red" one.

I have three morning glories hanging under the tree in the Gnome Dome... and two are potted on the ground under the same tree...see pics below.

The three hanging...
    [​IMG]

The very top one is dying and I really dont know why. The middle one is the blue one and the bottom one is suppose to be the red one but isnt.

Heres my blue one climbing. Its only bloomed once during the day but is reseeding like crazy. Its even got an offspring in the same pot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A pic of the suppose to be red morning glory...

[​IMG]
    Now the three surviving "red" ones arent trying to climb. They are growing straight up. It looks like they are standing.
    [​IMG]
    They have nice thick "trunks" or stems, whayever they are called. But the base of them are twisted..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Why arent they growing? The hanging ones are in the shade and the two on the ground are in partical.
    Why are they only blooming at night?

Do I need to replant them in the ground? Should they be in full sun? Its very harsh in the full sun down here in the south. What do I do?? HELP!!!!

2. Loading...

3. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OK so the "red morning glory" isnt even a MORNING GLORY! Its a 4 oclock! Im still pouting over that one. [​IMG]

They mislabled the Red Morning Glories. [​IMG]

4. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Oh Denee I'm sorry you are upset!! I wish I was near to give you a big hug!! On the good side tho 4 o'clocks are beautiful and in mass they fill the night air with a great aroma!!

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My morning glories are in full sun and it's a hot sun here. They bloom most of the day. The ones I had planted in the front where it is shady didn't hardly grow. I think maybe they need more sun. check the leaves. Compare the leaves. If they don't look like the blue morning glory leaves they are probably something else. I like four o'clocks myself and planted some. They will grow in the shade if it isn't too thick. dooley

Advertisement
  6. jbaby7162000

jbaby7162000 New Seed

morning glories

im sorry to you didnt get morning glories,i like them to,im sad cause it waas said that they dont do well in shade,cause i just planted some under a pine tree,but i also have some running up a post its doing fine it get some sun during the day i cant wait for it to bloom,i also have some in a basket ,,i also have them growing in the yard which i know are wild but i seen one that was white,ive never seen a white one before.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Denee,
    Morning Glories need to be in full sun, at least 6 hours of sun a day. It may not be too late to get some growth and blooms from them where you live. They bloom from June thru Sept.

Toni

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Well, I have all of them in full sun now. And they are all growing like weeds but only ones bloomed.

9. jbaby7162000

jbaby7162000 New Seed

fertilizing

how long after you plant the morning glories in the ground that you suppose to fertilize them,and with what kind?

10. flowie

flowie Seedling

im growing morning glories right now. i have been doing it for a few years now. they really are beautiful. Supposedly they dont like very rich soil... the poorer the better.....
    mine havent bloomed yet. they are still climbing and so far i have a bunch of leaves.. but im being patient. i have "heavenly blue"
    Love the 4 o'clocks by the way...... great pics!