Question about growing Sweet Potatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cajokid48, Dec 10, 2009.

1. cajokid48

cajokid48 New Seed

Hi, has anyone in the UK had any success growing sweet potatoes?
    If so what is the secret as no one on our allotments has had any luck with them and they are quite expensive to buy over here.
    Are they subject to blight like normal potatoes?
    Thanks in anticipation. :-?

moderator's note: split question from another topic and moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't live in the UK but one reason you are probably having problems growing sweet potatoes is that they require a long, warm growing period with temps above 75 degrees as much of that time as possible. For some varieties it is 100 days and for others it is as long as 120 days.

Have you tried growing them in a heated greenhouse?

4. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Hi cajokid. I have never had any success growing them but I have read blogs and posts from people who have. As Toni said, I think a long growing period is key, and as much of that needs to be warm growing time. I have heard people planting them under black plastic to increase the soil temperature. As far as I am aware, they are a member of the convolvulus family and so are not susceptable to blight. The growth above ground scrambles and I have seen people growing them up a trellis frame so the allotment ground is clear for growing other crops close by. I know Thompson and Morgan sell 'slips' which is the immature plant and I believe they are most reliable as they are sweet potatoes more suitable to our less clement climate.

5. cajokid48

cajokid48 New Seed

Thanks for your replies toni and EJ at least now I know why they haven't been successful with their sweet potatoes. :D