Question about plants that grow by "taproot"

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, Dec 29, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hello all.
    I'm looking at some plants in a catalog online. One that I really like is Eryngium -- Sea Holly. I have planted it several times and it doesn't seem to stay around the next year. In the link below, it says this "It grows by taproot, which makes it difficult to transplant and almost impossible to grow in a container."

I don't understand the concept of taproot as opposed to other root systems. Why does a taproot make it difficult to transplant or grow in a container?

Here is the whole link: http://www.waysidegardens.com/gardening/PD/46272

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Taproots grow straight down into the soil, they are the main root of the plant and store water deep down making the plant drought tolerant. Most trees start with a taproot and after a few years more spreading roots form.

Dandelions have deep taproots, one reason why it is difficult to get rid of them. If you leave a piece of the taproot there it will sprout new growth.

A regular root system spreads out around the plant usually just a few inches below soil level. Some taproots can be many feet long. I have to pull pecan saplings up before they are taller than about 6 inches, at that time they already have a 12 inch or longer tap root.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The Aquilegia also grows by tap root, which makes it difficult to divide if you want to share a particularly lovely one. I've divided them anyway, with success, probably because I didn't know how hard it is. :D

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thank you both for that info. I see why taproot plants would be so good in dry conditions. That is interesting about the aqualegia too. I planted some last year so that's good info to know about it.