Question About Teas

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by reggaefan, Dec 23, 2006.

1. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

I may try drinking tea instead of coffee. Knowing less than nothing about tea and since we have some tea drinkers since bithe here . I feel confident in asking,
    I will only drink hot tea so give me your favorite kind,
    Thanks

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

You're right Reggae we have tea drinkers from birth here. It wouldn't surprise me if I was bottle fed tea :eek: At my parent's we drink tea made from loose tea leaves stewed in a pot and then mixed with milk straight from the cow. It is stronger than most but I love it. When abroad and not having the luxury of fresh milk I use regular tea bags or sometimes green tea bags. They do the trick but my body needs stronger tea really. On an average day in Ireland I'll drink just 8-10 cups of tea.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I drink everyday tea - well every day!! However, I do enjoy a cup of mint tea, lemon, jasmine, camomile or fruit tea every once in a while. :-D

5. reggaefan

I have tasted all the flavors was more interested in for example pekoe tea good?

Advertisement
  6. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Good strong tea like English or Irish Breakfast is best, in my opinion. I don't have a milk cow but maybe Dopey the goat could help me out. It has got to have milk.

muddy

7. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I fully agree about Irish Breakfast tea.
    Always start with fresh, cold water in the kettle. Bring the tea to a rapid boil, then pour it over the tea- 1 tsp per cup, plus "one for the pot".(or 1 bag per 2 cups) Let it steep three to five minutes unless you like it strong, then go for, say, 10 minutes. Longer than that and the tea tastes stewed. If you are using milk (not creamers, bleah) add it to the cup first. Liptons is a good all-around tea, but I like Red Rose- it's a bit more intense, and you get a cute little china animal in every box! COnstant Comment is a strangely named tea, but really good for afternoons in the garden.
    Avoid the really cheap teas like the plague, they are just strong and bitter as an ill-tempered neighbor!
    \_/ a steaming cup to you!

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I only drink tea and I like to use loose tea in a pot. Put the tea in a mesh ball.Put it in the pot and let steep five minutes at least. I like strong tea so I let it go longer. Do you want tea with or without caffeine? Lipton tea leaves a bitter taste if you brew it too long. You can get good tea from WalMart. I use their store brand decaf and I use a Tetley British Blend from WalMart. It's hard to find good loose tea and I went to an Oriental Market in Phoenix to find what I wanted. I bought Oolong, Assam and a green tea and Jasmine blend and a lychee blend black tea. Other than that I looked up tea in Google and ordered some from a company there. It's a little pricey doing that though. I don't use sugar or milk in mine. Dooley

9. Frank

Oh did I mention I always eat the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup also. It wouldn't be the same without them and this is where tea bags lose out.

10. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

The tea leaves don't do much for me but I really like Irish Breakfast tea but English Breakfast tea is okay too. I like some flavored but usually stay with the Irish with no sugar or milk. Wannabe

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

So Frank, in the interest of saving time and making it a more efficient operation, would it be possible to eat the tea leaves first and then drink a cup of hot water?
    Also, if that works possibly in the summer you could substitute a glass of cold water instead of the cup of hot. dr

12. Frank

DR you are a genius! There are times when I am in a rush so this would speed up the whole operation. Please say you haven't patented the idea? *rushes off to patents office*

13. reggaefan

Brilliant dr tell Dooley I have to have caffine to live. Like Frank I think they put Coffee in my baby bottle. :smt026 :smt066

14. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We have a rather alarming variety of tea flavors in our house, as we like all the herbal and flavored 'real' tea concoctions. Current favorites are a chocolate flavored black tea, an herbal coconut spiced chai, and vanilla roobibos red. Yum. Feel free to be adventurous, there are all kinds out there.

15. reggaefan

Thanks everyone

16. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like cold tea, especially the flavored black tea and I found some flavored white tea, but never really found a hot tea I like. Guess the coffee drinker in me just won't turn loose of my taste buds.
    After working in the garden I really do love to take a can of icy cold Chrysanthemum tea and sit in the garden making plans for my next work day. We get it at a local Oriental market.