Question about wintering Glads and Nasturtiums

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Sep 17, 2009.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions , If you all could answer I would appreciate it. Fall is getting here and I'm not sure about a few things,I had to dig up my Glads, they were in a bad place so do I need to plant them now so they bloom next year or keep them til spring and plant.And I have some nasturiums that were beautiful this year, They have some little pumpkin looking seeds do I bring them in or leave them out for some reason, I don't know.

Thank you Margie :stew2:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here in Scotland I leave my glads out Margie and they come back year after year. We get severe frosts here so I have them planted quite deep in the ground. As for my nasturiums I gather all the corms that form and keep them in a cool, dry place until spring then plant them out directly into the ground. I let the plants themselves die back completely.

4. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Its going to depend on what zone area your in. Here in Michigan we have to dig up glads put them in a brown bag and store them in a cool place over the winter months and replant them again next spring. So far, as for my Nasturiums, I plan on just throwing the vines away, I haven't really paid much attention yet to see if they seed out or not. If they go to seed then I'll just use the seeds to replant next year.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I do the same things as Petunia does here in Ontario (zone 5). I have never heard about Nasturtiums forming corms?? I re-plant them from seed every year.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The little pumpkin looking seeds are, for some reason, called corms here in Scotland. :-D

7. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

Margie,

We have to dig up our glads they won't survive our cold winters
    I just tried some this year myself but I planted them in containers and will move one of them inside to the basement and dig out the ones in my whiskey barrel

Nasturtiums are not hardy here either
    Save the seeds for next year :)

Wolfie

8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane New Seed

The World's Best Answer - It Depends

The answer to your question is "it depends". It depends on where you live. Here in Wisconsin, glads must be lifted each year, as the winters are too cold. Store the bulbs in a paper bag (vs. plastic) to protect the bulbs from too much moisture. Too much moisture during storage can damage the bulbs. They need to be kept cool and dry.

Lady Jane

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I did have some that were sold as Hardy Gladiolus from Spring Hills or Brecks bulbs. They did come back for quite a few years here in Wisconsin but then we moved. They were a lot smaller than the ones you plant in the spring every year and I like the larger flowers better. Let me explain...hardy means they will come back and you do not have to dig them out...I never tried a paper bag but I will this winter. Mine are drying in the basement since we have had so much rain.

10. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

One local lady use to have nasturtiums for years along the driveway. She no longer has them. She declared that rabbits probably ate them. I will have to tell her about the cold weather.