Questions about lasagna gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by daisybeans, Mar 31, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh boy! do I have some questions for all of yo lasagne gardeners...

I have a space beside my garage, about 5 feet wide, 25 feet long, bordered on the other sides by my neighbors' wire fences. One neighbor doesn't tend this part of his yard and it is completely overgrown with vines of all kinds. My other neighbor and I feel like we are at ground zero for vines... We have tried everything to keep them from taking over our yards (except chemicals). It is a constant project. A couple years ago, I made an attempt... cut down the vines, laid down two layers of heavy black plastic covered over with pea gravel type stone. Well, the stuff made it's way out from under and over the fence anyway. It slightly better than before but still a mess and not useable space.

My question is -- would the lasagna approach work in this type of situation, do you think? I would not want to tackle removing the stone. Do you think after cutting the vines down to their source, I could then lay the newspapers or cardboard and all the other layers right over the stone? I was thinking of moving my compost bin back there and it is a good spot for some veggies. I was kind of thinking maybe a long narrow raised bed along the wire fence.

I figure I will always have to keep the vines cut back to avoid being taken over again. I do this along another long fence we share. On another portion, I just let it go. It has a sweet frangrant blossom in late summer.

All feedback greatly appreciated!

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

[​IMG]

This is the forgotten corner behind the garage, where I am going to try Lasagne gardening. After confering with my neighbor, I am going to put the raised bed on the wall side of the space instead of the fence side. We think the vines would make their way up between the fence and planter and defeat the whole purpose. I hope that the planter and layers would keep the vines from coming up between the wall and planter. Here is one more question -- the part that I won't be planting, the "path" more or less -- what should I layer on that? Just mulch?