Rain Barrel/Plant Feeding

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Aug 18, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So I'm just sitting around in the garden doing nothing and you know how the brain just rambles around about this and that and how to do something better/easier.
    And it comes to me. :idea:
    About once a month, I give the container plants some food. Scoop out some of the stuff into my bucket/watering can and then fill it from the rain barrel (as long as mother nature is cooperating). Usually I have to stir it up to make sure it's dissolved. Then I make the rounds giving everything a drink/feed. Sometimes I even give some of the in-ground plants some. I can easily empty out a 55-gallon barrel in an hour or more.
    So, here's my :idea: moment.
    Why not just put the feed directly into the barrel a day or so ahead of time? To make sure it dissolves, I could just take the hose and add a burst of water to stir it all up. Then I could just hook up a hose to the barrel and voila! No more carrying that bucket all over the place.
    A few less steps. No more stirring. A few minutes saved.
    Then I could have more time to just sit back and do nothing... but let the mind ramble. :stew2:

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Sounds like a PLAN to me..
    Hank

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yup, that's exactly what I'd do! So much easier :)

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sitting doing nothing is always when ideas slap me in the face too!! Now get back out there and think up some more labour saving tips for us all. :D

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Watering is my most time consuming chore. And I really don't like those feeders that you hook up directly to the hose. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner... I mean... that's why I put a spigot that fits a hose on the barrel in the first place.