Rainy Day = Garden Center Day.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was a mixed day yesterday. The weather was not nice at all, so it was off to the garden center out in Oosterblokker. It's quite a little ride to reach it, but always pleasant. There are open fields to see and some oldish houses built in the typical West-Friesian style that are still dotted in the villages. There are some new homes there too, but they have a very nice style that fits in well.

Now that spring has begun there are many folks that sell Primulas, Pansys and cut flowers out on the street in front of their homes. They are so pretty to see on their stands.

Once at the garden center it was surprising to see so many autos in the middle of a work day. The parking lot was 2/3 full!
    No worries, I got a shopping cart and off I went. There were the usual tools and fertilizer to see and then the beginning of the balcony/terrace plants.

Further along were the perennials. There were some plants to see indoors and outside. Oh I was in my element slowly walking along looking and examinming...counting crowns in a pot, etc.

When I had seen everything outside, it was back inside to pour over the other half of the perennials. All of these were also closely looked-at and then we moved on into the garden statues and patio things.

It was then time for a bite to eat. The garden center has a little "café" and we had a little snack with something to drink and to give the legs a rest. The only thing about trolling the garden centers is that one walks in a certain way--slenteren we call it. I keep forgetting the english word for this. It's sort of a very slow walking and pausing sort of walking--like one does in a museum also...or shopping.
    It was quite nice sitting there having a sip of cola and eating a little warm something...surrounded by plants. Mahvelous.

Ok then--up and at it. There is more to see and we were a long way from the exit. We needed something for my niece and there were a number of things to consider. We decided upon a porcelain coffee cup with a holes in the handle--one upper and one lower. There was also a porcelain spoon that passed through the holes and when coffee is served, this is the way it comes. Unique. I shall buy some coffee sorts to go with this gift.
    We shall go by this coming sunday afternoon.

The next section was for the house plants. I did have to get one "fancy Hibiscus". Sort of orangy yellow with a red heart. It is a lovely thing with nine buds yet to open.

It wasn't long before the trolly was full and that came at a good time, because we were then at the exit where we could pay for all this stuff. Uggh! Always painful.

Well once through the doors I pushed the cart outside to be met with a driving rain and gusting wind. Hmmmm This is going to be a challenging bike trip home, I thought.

We waited in hopes of a change in the weather, but that was not to be. Nothing else for it but to load the plants in and hit the road...into the wind with that rain.
    We got home soaking wet and I put the kettle on before I even took off my garb.

Here are some of the plants that I bought:
    [​IMG]

They are all squeezed in together and difficult to see but I can list some of them below here:
    --Echinopsís 'Taplow Blue'
    --Origanum 'Roseknuppel'
    --Animone 'Margarete'
    --Caryopteris 'Heavenly Blue'
    --Salvia 'Hot Lips'
    --Phlox 'van Gogh'
    --Lychnis coronaria

Naturally there were some balcony plants and some supplies and the Hibiscus house plant.

After I was dried-off and had had my tea, it was time to chit the spuds.
    Here they are all laid out and labled:
    [​IMG]

And to top it all off and to round the day off-- here are the last of the leeks that were cleaned and put away.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds like a wonderful garden center. I have never been to one so large that it had a cafe or that it took more than 10 minutes to look at all the plants available.

The plants you choose are all great looking, especially after the ride home in the wind and rain.
    Can't wait to see them all in bloom this summer.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sounds like a fun day to me (except for all that rain of course!)

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, to shop for plants and even be able to plant them! *deep, wistful sigh* Wish we were there with you. I'd have loved to slenter through the place, judging and drooling, and then pack all the stuff into the car and drive you home, warm and dry. :D

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Droopy that's exactly what I was going to say - great minds think alike eh? ;) Please snow go away so that we can both enjoy our spring before summer arrives. :rolleyes:

I think your slenteren is what we call sauntering here in Scotland Sjoerd. :-D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

TONI--Ach, the garden center s alright...but there are much nicer and bigger ones.
    I had to chuckle when you said that you'd never been to one that had a café and took more than ten minutes to view all that was there. Heck, it takes me ten minutes to walk through the door. ROARRRRRR :D I was there for four hours. I needed to look carefully, you see. I could walk from the front door directly to the exit and it might take five minutes if I walked briskly. There is not a direct pathway--they force one to walk through the whole place.
    I will post some pics when they are blooming later on.

CHERYL--it was fun. I never met a garden center I didn't like. --Didn't Will Rogers say that once? ;)

Oh DROOPY-- wouldn't that have been fun! You can bet that I would have really appreciated it not to get soaking wet too.

EILEEN---Yes!!! That's the word. Thanks so much. I just could not think of it. Isn't that crazy how words just escape one sometimes?

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This was a good way to spend that rainy day... but I do hope the weather cooperates for you tomorrow, Sjoerd. Do you have some panniers for your bike -- you must, for carrying all of those lovely plants so carefully. Besides saunter, the word that comes to my mind is "browse," after which I always get what I call museum legs!

Speaking of words... what is chit the spuds? Are these the spuds you'll be planting?

I've got my fingers crossed for good weather for you tomorrow!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi DAISY-- Thanks for your comments. Yes, I do indeed have bags on my bike--I couldn't do without them.

About sauntering and browsing: I am not certain about these two words, but I believe that browsing refers to looking and sauntering is an ambulatory style. Am I right? Anyway I was referring to the manner in which I was walking whilst browsing. hahaha. I am not sure about this so correct me if i am wrong.
    I like that term, "M<useum legs". That is a perfect descriptive term.

"Chitting the spuds"--I mean by chitting is where one places potatos out and lets them form little sprouts. It's like germinating seed potatos before they actually get put in the ground. I think that the term may be
    british, not american, perhaps that is why you are not familiar with it (although I am not entirely sure about this).
    I must add that this chitting isn't necessary before planying, but it is a personal preference that I have.
    "Ontkiemen" is the word (verb) here.

The weather hasn't been all that well today so far, it is hailing as I type this. Big, slate-gray clouds are moving quickly across the sky and it is gusting wind.--Challenging conditions for work in the lottie. Still, I must go out. I have to get some soil for planting the pansys and I must try a do a little bit of something at the lottie. That's what this vacation is for afterall. ;)

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I haven't ever met a garden center I didn't like either Sjoerd! I take my time and can easily spend an hour or more :)
    Those Leeks of yours look amazing!

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

yes, that's what i was going to say! those leeks, so clean, and that's how you preserve them for winter keeping? i thought one was suppose to leave the root on and not wash them and and and... tell us about this method sjoerd, please....

pretty plants. sounds like it was a great day to be browsing sjoerd! can't wait to see the plants in full bloom!

'chitting' is also a word used here, for pre-sprouting the potatoes. i'm trying to figure out what i'm going to do with ours. in the baasement, they have really long skinny growth right now. to cut that growth down when i plant, or just put the whole batch in the ground????! decisions, decisions...we have to make a root cellar this fall for sure...

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I really would love to have seen a picture of you all loaded down on the bike ready for home.You did pick some lovely plants.I cut the eyes (sprouts )from my potatos Sjoerd.Do you plant the whole potato?We can go to the feed and seed store and buy what we call seed potatos by the bags 10lbs,20lbs,50lbs or 100lbs.I would love to see how you plant them.
    I'm sorry you had to ride home in all that wind and rain.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks NETTY--Glad you liked the leeks.

Hi BUNKIE--I was happy with the leeks, all things considered. They were not very thick, diameter-wise, but the length of the 'white' turned out pretty good (and without tubes).
    The way that I preserve leeks is to wash them, cut them and bag them up. I freeze them in raw.
    I suppose that one could save them in a clamp or like the Victorians saved them in bins filled with sand.
    To be perfectly honest, I do not know how leeks are 'supposed' to be saved, I just freeze them in as I wrote, with no frills or thrills and they work for me.

It sounds like your spuds are doing well.
    I am really jealous :D about your plans for a root cellar--boy, wouldn't I like one of those!

Ha ha ha GLENDA--I looked like a drowned rat when I got home...and I suspect that the image of me leaning into the wind whilst pedalling hard with rain dripping off my nose looked anything but elegant.

Yes, I plant the whole potato along with it's sprouts.
    The way that I plant my spuds is to first make a deep furrow. Next I use a tulip bulb planter and make a hole to place the seed potato in.
    I cover the seed potato by filling in the hole. As the leaves appear, I earth the plants up every time the leaves poke themselves above soil to protect the leaves from frost. Also to force the seed potato to make longer and longer leaf stems--this is where more and more tubers will form.
    I plan to plant the first spuds in a week or two and I will try and remember to take fotos and show how I do it.

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Lucky you with being able to go to the garden center..I don't even think they have things here yet besides bulbs and rose bushes.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It´s sort of a curse having those garden centers so close by. I just keep going back...there´s almost a deeply trodden path now. ;)