Rainy day

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by EJ, Mar 13, 2011.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

After a stunning day yesterday, today is rather dull and the rain has set in. I knew I shoulda cut the grass yesterday. So, today I made marmalade. I had a handful of lemons and limes, a huge pink grapefruit and a couple of seville oranges. The house smells like an orange grove. Now Mark is watching the rugby - England V Scotland, Jessica and James are just relaxing with their music and computers, and I am pottering. Sometimes, dull Sundays are just what the doctor ordered.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They certainly are EJ. So glad you've had a nice, relaxing day as your life is always so busy as a rule.
    I can almost smell that marmalade you've been making - nothing like that lovely orangey smell is there? :-D

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We like marmalade but I've never tried to make it. Our day was some sunny and some cloudy and it's supposed to rain later tonight and tomorrow.
    dooley

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

All the citrus fruit in the same marmalade? :) Citrus jubilee!!

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

First of, congrats on the Rugby win (condolences to Eileen).
    Well, making marmalade sounds like just the thing to do on a raainy daai.
    You mentioned Seville oranges--are those tastey? I have picked and eaten oranges from the city streets of Seville, down in Spain... and they were Gosh-awful. They were so bitter that I couldn't even swallow one bite. I presume that the ones that you have were grown outside the city, eh?

7. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Nope Sjoerd, they are THE most horrid, sour oranges ever, fill of pips, but they are incredibly juicy and they are what gives the marmalade that zingy orangy taste. The mass of pips provide the pectin to give a really good set. It is delish, epecially on hot buttered crumpets. See, you all wondered how I kept my size zero figure. :)

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the info, EJ--I didn't know that. I thought that the marmalade got that zingy orangy taste from orange zest (peel shavings). It is good that there is a use for all those street oranges in Seville.
    I'll tell you what, though: in the spring time to walk the streets there with the orange blossoms out--it is a thrill to the olfactory sense. What a wonderful fragrance in the city. Very romantic.