Raised bed and bulbs

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It was warm and sunny and no wind today so with shovel and rake in hand I went to the end of the house and started digging the grass out where we wanted the flower bed. It came up rather easily since there is only sand there. dr pegged down the landscape timbers and put up the fence. We need a fence around everything because those two little outside dogs would just dig up the bulbs and play catch with them if we didn't. We filled it with eight large bags of soil. I planted about 100 bulbs, daffidol and freesia. Tomorrow we are going to go up the hill to the pile of mushroom compost and bring some back and sprinkle it over each of the beds with the bulbs and iris. dr read in the Texas garden magazine that you should do this and it will release slowly over the winter. I watered all the beds with the bulbs and the little crepe myrtle trees that I planted last month. Madison County is in drought conditions and has a burn ban in effect. Everything is brown and crunchy. I cleaned up the mess and picked up the trash that those dogs haul home from where ever they have visited. We hope to get the fence finished soon and stop them from doing that sort of thing.
    dooley

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice to read an update, Dooley. I am looking foreward to seeing the first signs of life in your new bed. It sounds like you have prepped the soil well.
    After the plants have finished blooming, will you plant a second generation of different plant sorts in that bed?
    Sorry to hear that everything is so dry there...I hope that that will change soon.
    It sounds like those dogs are real collectors. Good luck with getting that fence installed.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You're trying to make me jealous aren't you? ;) I can hardly remember what my garden looks like under all this snow. How I'd love to be able to come over to Texas for some heat and digging in the dirt. What type of bulbs are you going to be putting into the new bed?

5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Some crafty dogs you have there dr.
    One day they may surprise you and bring home a garden ornament. :D

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Dooley,
    i had to check the date of your post,TWICE,its like another world mentioning digging,or any attempt to garden from what it looks like this side of the pond,..yes i think i will join Eileen,..head someplace where there is heat.
    Mushroom compost,..now that i would treasure.