Raised bed vs regular bed?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I'm thinking ahead to next season. There's a section of Ed's garden that runs down the side of his detached garage, that we've talked about making into a flower bed/butterfly garden kind of thing. It gets a lot of sun, and we'd be able to see it in full bloom from the back porch which is where we spend a lot of time (unless it gets too hot and humid which it tends to do here in Tennessee)

I want to start on the bones of it in the fall when the weather cools down, sort of prep it for planting in the spring. Here are some shots of the section of garage wall I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were discussing the possibility of a raised bed there, vs just a regular one. Here's the thing though, I have no idea why one would DO a raised bed, other than visual appeal, or to be able to plant on a slope, so you'd tier the beds kind of thing.

Other than that, what? Reasons to, or not to? I have no clue. :shrug:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

With a raised bed there is less 'ground' work. You can layer cardboard or black plastic on the ground to kill the grass, build the frame and fill it with a compost/soil mix. Then plant when it's time.

In-ground planting would require you to dig up all grass in the space, put in a border of some sort to keep grass from creeping in, pull weeds that come up while the weather is still warm, amend the soil with compost, dig it in, then probably pull up more weeds that grow if winter is warm, plant in the spring and continue to pull weeds when needed.

I would go with the raised bed. Most plants to not require a very deep bed, unless they have a tap root their roots spread out, not down.

Philip Nulty and Ronni like this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Toni, thanks...love getting all this good information! And yes, you've just described my exact routine withe the various in-ground beds I maintain....and I'm sure, the rest of the Stewies' too ;)

Brings up a couple more questions. If I raise the bed, how much should it be raised? Does it depend on what I plant? Or is there at least a general rule of thumb, as in, no matter what, don't ever raise it less than X amount?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Typically 12 " is deep enough, or your can get 16" and cedar is a bit more expensive but will last much longer than pine.
    Or you can buy one of the raised bed kits at Home Depot or Lowes, they are made from artificial wood most likely plastic but you can check them out as far as cost and size goes.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Ronni. Masses of scope with raised beds the additional height giving extra drainage for plants requiring it (alpines etc) and also its walls allows plants to drape down its face looking good against the stonework - it can be vertical or sloped inwards - either way there is also the potential for placing/planting smaller plants between the stonework whilst building it.
    I have one bed walled all round about 12 inches high that I grow some very pretty plants in mainly alpines. Another is all along one side of the garage with Roses, Clematis and all underplanted with Lily of the Valley which fills the bed but cannot spread any further due to the adjoining path - this one is about 6 in high.
    Just a mention here - ref putting raised beds against the walls of buildings - do heed the possibility of soil causing dampness in the wall if raised above/covering a damp proof course ( US ??? ) in the buildings wall. Have fun - sure you will. Syd.
    Following a few raised areas from first garden.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0009.JPG

One more.

DSC_0007.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2016
    Philip Nulty and Jewell like this.
  8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Sydney, thanks so much for your response. The visuals were particularly helpful. Understood re dampness at the base of the walls. Ed actually had the same question. Something to research further.

Also, newbie gardener questions:
    You refer to alpines. I am thinking very large forest trees...but I don't believe that's what you mean.
    Also what does underplanting mean?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I made raised beds as I specifically wanted to put in 'good' soil vs taking years adding compost and trying to make good soil. Raised beds also let you walk with a weed whacker much easier than if the beds are flat.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC01844.JPG Hi Ronni. A pic of one of the two raised beds I now have in this smaller garden - the space is here but two thirds of it is sheeted and shingled ref Moles.

Islandlife and Philip Nulty like this.