Raspberry Druplet Problem

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by bob6831, Jun 13, 2012.

1. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    Have had a problem with brown druplets on my raspberrys for several years now.
    It seems to be more prevalent on the red raspberrys (don't know variety, is what we used to call red-caps). It shows up on about 50% of the new berries. As the season progresses, it may go down to only 10-20% of the berries.
    On the black raspberries, it starts at about 10% of the berries and goes down to about 5%.
    Doesn't seem to be any consistent condition leading to the problem. Happens on canes with good sunlight and bad.
    Have couple of pics.
    Would appreciate any help in identifying the problem and possible solutions.
    Note that someone in other forum thought it was a UV problem.
    Thanks.
    http://home-and-garden.webshot...m/phot ... 8798xAifEb
    http://home-and-garden.webshot...m/phot ... 8798paxsNC

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. bob6831
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The link to the pictures is, as posted, not valid. Could you repost the complete link?

Jerry

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Bob, here are the How To: Post Photos instructions for the forums. They are easy to follow and you don't have to contend with another photo host.

5. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Do you spray with anything in the spring? My FIL sprays lime sulfer early, before any leaves are out to ward off fungal diseases. In my opinion, I would guess a viral problem and with a virus there is nothing to do for them. Sorry. You could always check with your county extension office and see if they have any advise for you. Some viruses are present in the soil and cannot be removed. Perhaps solarized, but the problem will show up again sooner or later.

7. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi Carolyn,
    No, I did not spray anything.... but just did today. I did notice a little worm bug on one of the raspberries I picked today.... so sprayed with Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap.
    Spraying is one thing I have not been good about.... probably one of many, lol...... but it always seems that when I think about spraying, whether it be my plum tree or grapes or raspberries, I run into a rainy spell.
    Thx for the reply... and next year I will try the lime sulfur spray.
    BTW, what red/black/yellow variety of raspberry have you found to be the best. I find my JoanJ, Himbo Top and Autumn Bliss do well and produce quite large and tasty fruit.
    Bob

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have no idea what the variety I have is called. It came from Europe 50 years ago and has been here since before my time. My husbands grandfather planted them and we have been growing in the garden since then. My FIL has caroline and they are pretty but not nearly as tasty as the ones we have already. I have heard kilarney is an excellent variety, though. We have only a small row of black raspberries, which my FIL planted and I don't remember what they are off the top of my head, but they are a cultivated variety. I planted Brandywine and a gold one this year, but I looked at the ONE gold one the other day eith all of it's one fruit and it looked like a red one to me :rolleyes:.