Red Sister Cordyline - babies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Mar 18, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I got this last fall. And now it has new "babies".
    Is it okay to go ahead and put these in their own pots?

[​IMG]
    Red Sister Cordyline ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Cordyline "babies" ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, by coincidence this morning I cut the tops off my cordies...the same one that is in your pot, I push the cutoff top which is about 2ft. long into some soft soil[in your case a pot]and in a couple of months, sometimes weeks depending on weather , a new plant grows up, sometimes around the base and sometimes the tip just keeps on growing, never lose one...they are easy peasy.They wont mind being in the shadehouse until they grow up a bit.In fact some of my best are in full shade.

This is my opinion only....if it was mine I would cut off the main stems about halfway down and replant them[thats what the nursery would do]and let the new shoots takeover as the main plant and it will be a better plant.The main stems will branch again and the new shoots will grow much better.If you are waiting for a flower, do it straight after flowering, cut the flower off and plant the stem.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow. I would have never guessed that! But it makes sense. The original plant is looking a little ragged from the winter. I just figured it would put on new leaves this spring.
    Well... I guess I'll get another bag of potting soil and do some "chopping". The thought of it makes me very nervous. But, since there are new plants waiting for the chance to grow, I'll be brave and do it.
    Thanks Chocolate... don't know what I'd do without all your advice!