Red-whiskered Bulbul is nesting!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Dinu, May 13, 2015.

1. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

Copy of P1160436.JPG
    This is our friend, the Red Whiskered Bulbul.

Last week, I was overjoyed when a bulbul came and sat on a branch of the White Tree Orchid [a very small one now] beside our large hibiscus. Overjoyed, because it had a thin strand of nesting material in its beak. Normally it wouldn't come that close to me. So I stood still and watched. I had seen the bulbuls flying into the bushy growth of my Jacquemontia vine which I have grown on an arch beside my pond. My stone bench is placed under the arch and that is where I sit for my coffee in the mornings. I had thought that they go in there to look for some insects. But now, I saw it fly in with the strand! When it flew out and away, I went closer and peeped in. Lo and behold! There was an under-construction nest! Camera time. What I saw.

IMG_2435 (Large).JPG

Still some more work left for tight weaving.

When I saw this cup-like structure and knew now it was the work of bulbul, I realized what nest I had seen a few days before in another Jacquemontia vine on the other side of the pond in a smaller arch, was none other then the bulbul's. It had used and abandoned but I had missed it. I only had seen them fly in there too, but never thought they had a nest in there - the growth was nicely bushy even though I walk by there very often! The nest was completely obscured from the other side. This one.

IMG_2434 (Large).JPG

In the first photo, the Jacuemontia had been infested by mealys and so there are no blooms, but the infestation disappeared with a few rain showers and now the blue blooms are back. See where the nest is placed? Here:

IMG_2437 (Large).JPG

On two mornings, I did not notice any busy flying in or chirping and singing - their calls are very pleasing and musical. When I ventured slowly to check, there it was, sitting in the nest which had been fully ready and dense with more fibres and cotton. I was relieved. Next morning, early, I peeped in with the camera to see the eggs. I now knew there were. It must have been 2 days old. Here:

P1460771 (Large).JPG

Curiosity satisfied, it is time to leave them alone. I learn that they take about 14 days to hatch. I calculate the EDH [expected date of hatching] to be around 21-24th May.

Will be adding pictures. I can take from across the pond, 10 ft. away, zoom.

Jerry Sullivan, Jewell, Kay and 4 others like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a handsome bird!! I'm so glad they have decided to nest in your garden Dinu. I hope nothing disturbs them now that the eggs have been laid and that we'll get to see the youngsters when they emerge. The nest certainly looks well hidden so we'll keep our fingers crossed that the three eggs all hatch and that the babies survive to fledge.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a fascinating glimpse of a bird that most of us will never see otherwise! Great photos--you must be a very patient person. Thank you for posting the bird and nest photos, and we'll be looking forward to seeing more.

4. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Breath-taking photo of the bulbul Dinu and the following photos too. If i were a bird i would surely want to nest in the Jacquemontia near the birdbath. I love this plant and wish i could find it here. The eggs are beautiful also. Is this the first time you have seen them? I am counting 3. Blessings for the little ones and i hope that everything goes well. Will be looking forward to seeing the wee ones:like::sete_056:

Advertisement
  5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks for sharing your great pictures. I know this is the only way I will ever see a bulbul. Beautiful bird.

6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The Bulbul bird is beautiful and it's so great that it is nesting where you are able to take pictures! I'm looking forward to the coming pictures.

7. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Great photos of the Bulbul! This is a great story I would love to follow. The bird and it's eggs are really very beautiful. I've never heard of or saw this bird before.

8. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

Today I sat on the pondside bench and took this photo [no flash used] - the nest was about 20 inches from my face. The bird appears to be comfortable with my silent presence. I've refrained crossing the nest from its entrance side. The bird was in the nest, sitting on the eggs. P1460795.jpg

eileen and vitrsna like this.
  9. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

I took a couple of pictures on two evenings 2-3 days ago, of it warming the eggs. Took the shots from 10 feet away, from across the pond. I had to use flash as it was dark inside the bushy growth.
    IMG_2476.jpg

eileen and vitrsna like this.
  10. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

She is very well camouflaged. It looks like they did a good job on the nest. So we wait for little "cheeps"...another 9 days plus or minus?

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How exciting!!. The nest is so well constructed and she looks so comfortable sitting their brooding her eggs. I'll look forward to any photographs you manage to get of the youngsters.

12. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

It's very well camouflaged indeed but I'm really worried about a cat on the prowl at night. Cats, dogs and cattle [sometimes even pigs, which they seem to have controlled now] freely roam about here. With no proper action/punishment for law breakers in place and given people's irresponsible civic behaviour in public places, we get to see horrible acts like these. If I tell them not to do it, they will say "it is not your place, why do you bother - shut up." Cats are fed milk by some families and they roam about at night... they have no owners! A pair of spotted doves had made nests in my shed some 3-4 months ago and each time out of four, but once, the eggs went missing overnight. The only time chicks came they too had died in the nest. A day before, I had seen the cat had caught the dove and eaten it... came to know of this from the remains.

Pictures of the dog and a picture of the Tailorbird nest on my almond tree. New story coming up..... birds are so important to gardens. I checked the bulbul nest this evening and it is safe.
    IMG_2478.jpg IMG_2479.jpg IMG_2489.jpg

vitrsna likes this.
  13. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Dinu, very best wishes for a successful and healthy outcome for your bulbul family. I wonder if there is some way you can divert the cats' attention away from the nesting place and your garden? I am thinking of ideas but not having much luck yet (maybe some tuna across the street?). This is the nest of a Tailorbird? Now i see how they got their name. What a remarkable stitching job they have done on that leaf. What exactly are we looking at in the opening of the leaf between the stitching? I cannot figure this out.o_O

14. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

No way we can divert the cats. I want them to find the big rat / bandicoot that has made burrows in the yard and has made a mess of my kitchen compost pit. They are happily living on this diet!
    It is the nest of the tailorbird. Actually it is presently horizontal. The opening is on the left. The cushioned cup base is on the right. With the weight of 1-2 eggs and when the bird sits in it, it will sag down. Also when the leaf grows, it will sag a bit. Safe from rain. But the bulbul nest has taken the brunt of the heavy rains in the last three evenings. But it appears safe.

vitrsna likes this.
  15. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

I showed 3 eggs above. Now it is time to show who were in them.
    Picture taken by my daughter from her Canon [using no flash]. I just moved a twig near the nest and they all sensed the parent had come to feed. In fact, the pair had just flown out from another insect-grab after feeding when I waited for this shot. These must be 4 days old nestlings. They could have hatched on 19th or 20th, which is when I first noticed the pair flying in with insects in their beaks, taking turns. I'll continue to worry and watch - worry because of the cat that prowls and night. They are now making tiny tweets without using twitter!! What a melody. I'm glad I did not prune the vine. IMG_7782.JPG