Requesting a conformation of a plant ID

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Jerry Sullivan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

This is a volunteer that is several years old. When it was first found it almost ended up on the compost pile. Curiosity won out and I was rewarded with the light purple flowers in the early fall. Standing four feet tall this obvious member of the Aster family (Asteraceae) is a popular hangout for bees and now has an almost white cousin 30 feet away. My ID of this plant is a New York Aster (Novi-belgii) but as the Aster family has a gazillion members I would appreciate a conformation.

Thanks,

Jerry

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jerry,
    i have Aster novi-belgii growing in my garden,.."Symphyotrichum novi-belgii",..looking at yours i would say its "A.lateriflorus,'Horizontalis'."

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Philip,

Thank you for conferming that my aster is not A. Novi belgii. I looked at A.lateriflorus,'Horizontalis and the disk appears to be larger as well as having a more pronounced color. The rays may be about the same. Typical on the one I am attempting to ID has 9 to 13. The leaves are heart shaped and the brats resemble the leaves leading me to think now perhaps A. macrophyllus.

Jerry

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jerry,
    yours being 4ft helps to a degree,..and as you say my A. Novi belgii is not the same as yours,..if its A. macrophyllus.,..its also called bigleaf.

There is another,..also a 4ft plant,..its A.Turbinellus,..mine did very bad so far this year,..mildew attack of which they are prone,..you could be lucky and have a disease free plant,..A.Turbinellus is one of the disease free ones.

[​IMG]
    A. Novi belgii. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

So that's what a healthy Aster is supposed to look like.
    The poor thing I planted this spring is nothing but a little pile of green. :(