Rescued Tree

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by churchill25, Jan 6, 2010.

1. churchill25

churchill25 New Seed

Hello,
    I saved a tree from being tossed out,,, now I need to know what it is and how to care for it... I was told it was a citrus tree, possibly lemon but as I look at leaves I believe it's a Weeping Fig.?. Other than that I have no information. It was in an apartment corridor with plenty of leaves then moved to a cold garage to be tossed into the dumpster, where I saw it and took it home. The leaves have mostly fallen off probably due to a few days in the cold dark garage.

Currently it is in my home office, the heater behind it is rarely used. I have had it at home for about 2 weeks... Any thoughts? http://www.nlvp.com/SHEDDER/ Here is a link to a gallery of images...

Thanks Alan...

[​IMG]
    Scanned Leaf ( photo / image / picture from churchill25's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looks like a Ficus to me. But I'm not positive.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. cherylad

Keep in mind, these plants are very picky about being moved. They'll drop their leaves if they are "upset". So... once you find a spot that it likes... leave it there!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've rescued 2 Ficus Benjamina's myself! They are lovely, but a little temperamental.

8. cherylad

My sis-in-law has one that is so temperamental, if you even talk bad about it, leaves will start to drop!
    :-D

9. churchill25

churchill25 New Seed

Thanks for the replies...

I was hoping for lemons but I'll take a temperamental leaf dropper instead... ;)

I'm going to start pruning it a bit while the leaves are off, any advice? How much will the snipped branches drip when cut?

And I think I will put it in a new pot...
    As I understand, a pot with a drainage tray and maybe some gravel in the bottom of the new pot under the roots.

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I would wait until the leaves reappear to prune, in case it thins its branches naturally. Wayward branches are pruned anytime to maintain shape.

I usually heavily prune in the summer or when the plant is full with leaves. I have heavily pruned ficus of various sizes quite drastically to keep them a size that would fit where I wanted them.

I always leave some leaves on every pruned branch and wait until the plant leafs out from the inside area before pruning more.

Repotting is something I seldom did. I had one ficus for 20 years in the same pot, and another for 15 years in the same pot. Ficus pumila makes a great ground cover for ficus benjamina and are quite compatible.

Watering for ficus should be a good soaking, but never setting in water longer than it takes to throughly soak the root ball. I think improper watering is probably what causes the most problems with ficus. :(

Be sure and keep ficus out of drafts. They really hate drafts (by doors or leaky windows). They love bright indirect light. Good luck and happy gardening. :stew1: