RHS Chelsea Flower Show

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by gardenelf, May 19, 2013.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Yes, it's that time of year again: the Chelsea Flower Show is about to start!
    From 21-25th May, with daily tv-coverage on BBC. In fact, today starts with a preview. Can't wait!! :-D

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just hope the weather improves for everyone. :fingerscrossed: So much time and effort goes into setting up this show it would be a real shame if this rain continues. I'm off to set up my recorder now so that I don't miss anything. :-D

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Who knew?!? One thing that I appreciate about Garden Stew is that I get to find out such things as gardeners in the Netherlands & Scotland pay attention to a garden show in England! (Of course I know it's not just any garden show)

5. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Now here's a little secret: I only just found out THIS MORNING :eek: that Chelsea was next week, and coverage started tonight :oops:
    Somehow I had it in my silly little brain that it wasn't until the 26th! No idea how that got there...
    Soooooo happy I found out in the nick of time, because Chelsea is my tv-gardening highlight of the year :-D
    Also left me just enough time to "warn" other Stewbies :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I watched it tonight.
    I always look forward to the Chelsea series. It was good of you to post the reminder on here.
    Hope you enjoy it.

7. Cayuga Morning

I wonder if we in the States could watch it too?

8. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

That's something I don't quite understand about the BBC: their programmes cannot be viewed on the internet by anyone outside the UK :-?
    Very unfair, since they have a lot of good stuff to watch, like Chelsea. :rolleyes:

9. Cayuga Morning

So, gardenelf, how are you able to watch it if you are in The Netherlands?

10. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Fortunately our cable carries BBC-channels. I think I'd be quite lost if they didn't! (being kind of half expat) :stew1:

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

There may be a way to watch Aunty Beeb abroad after all 8)
    Apparently it is possible to fool the BBC I-player into thinking your IP address is UK-based. I haven't quite figured out how this works yet, but when you Google "watch BBC Iplayer outside UK", there are lots of hits.

Too complex for yours truly, but maybe useful for you guys over there in the US :stew1:

12. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I think its to do with the fact that we have to pay a licence fee in order to be able to receive the service.The BBC is funded by this and which is probably why access is limited to this country and those who have paid the fee -unless you can find a way through ;)

You might try YouTube,I don't know if that is restricted in the same way though.

13. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

My only gripe about the programmes is that they keep doing 'filler' reports instead of concentrating on the flowers and gardens and that they do seem to give most emphasis to the big show-gardens when there is sooooo much more to see.

That said,I was sat here last night with my jaw dropped at the magnificent orchids and cacti they showed.

14. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Kiasmum, you're absolutely right, I completely forgot about the tv-licence! Indeed it's only fair to limit access to UK viewers only.
    Couldn't they grant overseas viewers access in return for a small fee, though? I bet lots of people abroad would not mind paying to watch BBC programmes online. Strange the BBC doesn't do this, bearing in mind they can hardly make ends meet these days.

Haven't watched last night's coverage yet, I recorded it. Sounds like I'm in for a treat! :-D
    I agree, they highlight very selectively, always leaving me wondering how much more there really is to see. I would LOVE to see it for myself one day, but for now I happily settle for every morsel of Chelsea the BBC throws my way. :stew1:

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have had several e-mail conversations with the BBC folks concerning this very subject. Sadly I have only ever gotten vague responses.They have never told me exactly why it is the way that it is.

I thought about the licence angle as well, but heck--I pay a fee to watch BBC shows on the cable. The cable people pay BBC for the right to deliver it to their customers.
    I see this as the same as paying for a lisence.
    The result is the same--money goes out of my pocket and into the coffers of the BBC, albeit via the cable company.

I know that I could circumvent the present restrictions, but I do not want to do this. I am lobbying for them to change their policy.

We used to have that licence phenomenon here, but the government scrapped that years ago.

It is a bit of an irritation, but I can record shows. It isn't too bad; however, if I want to see an old show or if there were two or three shows that would come on at the same time then I have a problem.

It is a pity, but I have to say that the Chelsea Flower Show and the Gardners' World are such a pleasure to see.

I am with 'Mum that there is so much more to see besides the fancy gardens. I actually prefer the stalls in the Marquee for their beauty and to see what will be on offer in the garden centres next year.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You Tube has many different views of the Chelsea Flower Show both 5-6 minute shorts from the BBC and interviews and photo/videos from other TV shows. Might be worth a peek? I'm enjoying the look, since I can't figure out whether our cable company carries the CFS (it isn't advertised here).