Rhubarb Marmelade

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by weeds n seeds, Jun 25, 2011.

1. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

Made this last fall and it's delicious (found the recipe online), especially on toasted English muffins! Most time consuming part is thinly slicing the rhubarb. Recipe said just peel the thin outer rind of orange and lemon, use as is but I would recommend boiling the skins 20 minutes to soften; let them sit overnight; then drain and add as directed: this helps eliminate any bitter taste that may be in the skins. Also, I added 1/4 cup of lemon juice when cooking the marmelade, imparted a rather "tangy" taste that offset sweetness of sugar used, perked the flavor right up.
    Ingredients: 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb stalks (about 5-6 cups thinly sliced)
    1 medium orange
    1 medium lemon
    7 1/2 cups of sugar
    2 pouches (3 oz. each)liquid fruit pectin
    Place rhubarb in a large nonreactive kettle. Add the prepared citrus peel. Remove seeds and any white membrane left on citrus; chop in very small chunks and add to rhubarb in kettle. Add sugar (and lemon juice if desired) to the mixture, cook slowly..stirring..over medium low heat til sugar is totally dissolved. Increase heat to high, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Continue boiling, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the pectin immediately; bring back to a boil; boil 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.
    Skim foam from top; fill hot sterilized jars with mixture to 1/4 inch of top, clean jar rims. Screw on hot jar tops just firmly, do not overtighten! Process the filled jars in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
    Makes about 4 pints, or about 7-8 half-pint jars.
    Only other rhubarb recipe better then this is strawberry rhubarb pie, still warm from the oven, and topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!! :D

Frank, Philip Nulty and carolyn like this.
  2. Loading...