River Keiper is flowing again

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Aug 10, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I just thought I would share our good news today....River Keiper is flowing along. We have gotten 2" of rain in the last couple of days, we were getting so desperate for it, too. We haven't picked any corn from the garden to speak of yet...hopefully now we will get some. The field corn is looking awful. We went to York, PA on Monday and they were so much better off than we... No one here has lost any outside workdays to precipitation in the last YEAR here. Until today...HURRAY !!!!

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope your corn can be salvaged Carolyn. I'm really pleased to hear that you got some rain - at last.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yay! That's great! We have gotten some much needed rain here too. I sure hope its not too late for the local farmers.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wonderful! Now that it has started to rain, I hope it keeps it up in useful amounts, nicely spread out.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Netty, I hope you get as much as you need there, too. Glad you got some, also. Thanks Eileen and Jane we were getting sadder by the day here, I was even getting to the point where I didn't want to do the farmers markets on a few days, now that is bad.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have been looking at some really sad corn pictures lately. Glad to hear you are getting some rain. With a 2.2 billion bushel hit the output this year will effect food and gasoline prices. Interestingly enough this year is expected to be the 8th largest harvest in history. It's commitments that will stretch the harvest driving up prices. NOAA is not making future outlooks any rosier. We expect heavy rain tonight as a line of thunderstorms run through the area.

Jerry

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Congrats on the rain everyone! I know you all were getting pretty desperate.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

So glad to hear that you finally have had some rain. Yay!
    I have been wondering how your harvests were doing...and how the markets were faring.

I have not yet harvested any corn either.

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

:'( I am still waiting for some rain. Rain gauge remains empty and bone-dry.
    Storms have been skippin across the state, but missing me.
    Talk about sad looking corn crops, they look like they should in October! Stalks are dried up already. This summer's dry, hot weather has been pretty tough around here. I sure would love a good soak.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kay, I hope you get some relief soon from the drought and heat. I don't think it has been this dry here in 50 years and we live 40 minutes or so, south of Lake Erie. We usually get some "lake effect" rains a few times a summer from the Great Lakes...But not this year. NADA,nothing! I don't know how dry you are used to it on a regular basis, but this is beyond anything normal to us. I think I ran the water everyday 7 days a week the entire summer and spring up until last Sunday.
    Some of the fields here were pretty sad looking as of Tuesday, but I don't know if the rain was a little too late to make corn or not. I saw a field on Tuesday that looked like it was going to die if we didn't get some rain, but that doesn't mean it will make a crop of corn at this point now either.
    We haven't had much in the way of sweet corn yet, either. It has been too dry to pollinate or form much of an ear. Now the 5th stand of corn may make something. The first 4 were next to nothing for harvest.

S, my Farmers Markets are doin well this year. I haven't taken many pictures , but I will try to get a compilation of some together before long. I love to see every ones pictures, but I have't done a great job this year. Mostly because I got a new camera and the old computer doesn't load from the SD slot anymore so I have to do it on the newer one and I really don't like it as well. Different program and different keyboard. Such a creature of habit. :rolleyes:

Jerry, Time will tell. I think we will be WAY down on harvest. I saw fields being mowed off farther to the west in Indiana and Illinois. I can't fathom that they can guesstimate the crop harvest this year with the amount of the US effected by the drought that are crop/food producing areas.

12. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Thanks Carolyn... No rain yet...Last Saturday it clouded up, and some areas did get some rain, but not us.
    This is unusual for this region also. We are usually hot in July and August, but this year has been one of the hottest on record, and the 2nd driest on record. We're used to having rainy storms pass through regularly. They just aren't developing.
    My city; Lincoln, has imposed mandatory water restrictions as of 8/10. You can only water on certain days depending on address. We get a lot of water from the Platte River, but it is dangerously low.
    Prayin for RAIN here!!!!

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kay, prayers are on the way :smt059 We can never have too many of those. We have done a lot of praying here.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I hope that you get a handle on that new camera of yours. I surely do enjoy seeing your pics when you post.