Rose of Sharon Question

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by cheerz2you, Jan 12, 2009.

1. cheerz2you

cheerz2you New Seed

Last fall someone gave me a Rose of Sharon. This was in a rather large nursery pot and I have no idea where to plant this shrub. Because winter was coming I dug a hole in my veggy garden and put the whole plant still in the pot in. I will need to dig up the pot and move it in the spring.

My question(s):

Is a Rose of Sharon picky? What is the best soil type? Will part shade work? Or does it need full sun?

We have lots of clay around here and whenever I introduce something new I use compost then water once a month with compost tea.

This plant, by the way, is over 5 feet tall right now and I have no idea what type it is or what kind of flowers it will produce.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have never had one before.

Cheerz!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't have one yet, but they grow well in our black clay soil so ours has to be amended with compost too. There are two different types, some reach 8-10 feet tall some stay 5-8 feet tall.
    Yes they need full sun, they can become susceptible to fungal damage if grown in part sun.

4. cheerz2you

cheerz2you New Seed

Thanks for the heads up on the amount of sun. That will have an impact on where I thought I was going to put it! The soil issues don't sound like much a problem if I ammend it, so that is good :)

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have lots of Rose of Sharons (Altheas).You can cut a limb off of it and stick it in the ground or water and they sprout roots very essy.They grow really well in the sun.They do get fungus in the sun or shade.I will have to spray mine with fungus spray again.Dooley and dr has that fungus all over the place in their trees and not only the Altheas but different trees.

Advertisement
  6. cheerz2you

cheerz2you New Seed

:D good to know they easily root! I would like to create some sort of natural fence in the back yard. It does get a bunch more sun there now since we had several trees taken down last summer.

What type of spray do you use? How would I identify this fungus? When do you treat - morning, evening?

7. glendann

It will start on the limbs.I will have to take a picture of its growing.

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I would say spray it with a fungicide that you can purchase at Lowes or Home Depot. They would look very pretty as a fence line. The colors are pink, lavender/purple, or white. Sometimes you can get a plant that has two or more color blooms on it.

9. glendann

I have a deep burgandy along with the other colors.Yes a fungicide from even WalMarts.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Glenda, I don't think I have ever seen the burgundy. We might have to do something about that! :D

11. cheerz2you

cheerz2you New Seed

Thank you all for all this great information :stew2:

I asked the person who gave me the shrub and she said she thinks it is a white flower with pink or burgandy inside? We will see when it blooms! I just wish I knew exactly how big this thing is going to get since there are a few varieties out there. I am very interested in seeing what the fungus looks like if you do manage to get a pic!

12. glendann

If so it is a very pretty bloom Cheerz you will love it .I have a lot of double lilac blooms.

13. glendann

I was thinking of my Crepe Myrtles kuntrygal when I said burgandy.

14. cheerz2you

cheerz2you New Seed

glendann, now you have me wishing for that freakish heat wave more than ever :D

I can't wait for spring!!!!!!!! It's like zero degrees outside right now :!: