Rose Of Sharon .....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi,
    I have about 7 Rose Of Sharon bushes in my yard. They are doing very well this year because of all your help here. They have lots of little ants and what seems to be Lady Bugs all over them. I was wondering if I could mix a little dish detergent and water and spray the leaves. Would this hurt anything? Thanks in advance.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Because you mentioned both Lady Bugs and ants, I believe you must also have aphids. Ants will 'farm' aphids for the sticky sap they leave behind. Lady Bugs main food is aphids. I'm sure they won't do any damage to your bushes.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Richie,
    Glad your Rose of Sharons are doing well, and that you credit the advice you've received here for part of their health.
    Since you have ladybugs, may I suggest that you leave the ants and ladybugs alone, and see what happens? The ladybugs may very well take care of the problem--they are known as "beneficial" insects!
    Dish detergent and water (which is a form of insecticidal soap) works on soft-bodied insects, like aphids. Please do not confuse soap with detergent. Insecticidal soap is made with a soap such as Ivory or Dreft, a bit of vegetable oil, and water. Some detergents can harm plants--insecticidal soap, applied early or late in the day when the sun won't turn the water droplets into prisms which will burn leaves, will not hurt your plants.

carolyn likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There's an old saying Richie: "If it ain't broke then don't fix it." I'd leave the ants and ladybirds to do their job. If you spray your plants you'll get rid of their food supply which means they won't breed. We need these beneficial insects in our gardens and so, as long as your Rose of Sharons are doing well, let nature do its work.