Runners, Step Two

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A while ago I posted some fotos of the first garden work that I was able to do and included some shots of the Runner Bean trench that I made.

Yesterday I planted the seeds in root trainers and set them on the window sill to germinate. I will let these beans become substantial plantlets before planting them out. I want a good root ball and after disturbing the ground so radically when making the trench, it needs a month minimally for the layers of microcosms to re-establish...so the timing comes out good.

I plant the seeds this way (look closely to see the little node-like swelling at the bottom of the scar--that should always be below, and this end of the bean pressed into the soil.
    I have tried planting the beans on their sides and had a problem with rotting. I have even planted them upside down and the beans really did have to do a summersault so that the leaves could grow upwards. The whole bean was pushed up out of the soil when the plant corrected itself.
    [​IMG]
    Once all planted and labeled The containers are tightly packed into the root trainer holder. A clear plastic cover comes with the set, but I have it off to show the labeling and trainers better.
    I apologize for this dark and indistinct foto.
    [​IMG]

Well, it's time to wait now for germination and development...and of course for time to pass. I look to plant them out in mid-may.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm saving both your posts on runner beans as my husband would like to try growing some this year. Thanks for all the useful information. :-D

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That's exciting, Eileen. I can't imagine that he would have probs with growing Runners. I find that once the ground is prepared where you want to plant them that the only other thing that one must do is keep them well watered--they drink like no other bean.

Having said that, I know that EJ doesn't water her runners much because there isn't a water source on her lottie complex and she seems to get plenty of beans to eat and show each year.
    My ground is so loose and soft that the water drains away somewhat quickly and if I don't water mine they develop dry edges to the leaves and the flowers fall off...also the little beanlets as well. They just go yellow and fall off.

What sorts is your man thinking about growing? There is such a wide variety these days, isn't there--there's a bean for every wish or preference, it almost seems. I noticed that T&M alone had 23 sorts the last time I looked.
    I am growing two types this year--a new one (for me) called 'Celebration', plus some old beans that I had from some earlier trials, the 'Lady Di'.

Anyway, please keep us up to date with the progress of your husband's runner bean efforts this year. I really like beans and am always keen to hear of others' experiences.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As this is our first attempt we're going to try growing Pickwick runners as they're a dwarf variety and are stringless. We'd thought about Aintrees but they're way too big for the space we have available. Fingers crossed we have some success. At least here we get plenty of rain so watering them shouldn't be too much of a problem. Have you ever tried this variety yourself?

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Dumb question, but what are runner beans? Are they like regular green beans or more like lima beans or something else?

7. bluelacedredhead

bluelacedredhead New Seed

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

daisybean, glad you asked the question! i googled wiki's version of the 'runner bean'. i always thought it was just a big vining pole bean that had wonderful flowers and delicious green beans and dried beans to eat. the hummingbirds love the red flowers.

we've grown the Scarlet Runner and the Painted Lady. there's a Sunset one i'm going to try this year. i think i'm going to have to look into the varieties eileen and sjoerd mentioned too! didn't know there were so many!

i also didn't know there was a specific way to plant the seed sjoerd???! i learn soooo much from your posts!

thanks blue! i forgot the link! i'm being blinded by the sun coming in the kitchen window this morning, woohoo!

9. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Ooo Bunkie, I have grown sunset before and the flowers are gorgeous. I will sow mine over Easter weekend. I'm not as efficient as you though Sjoerd, I just poke them in the compost - maybe I shall pay more attention this time. I have no idea yet what varieties I will sow but I try to do climbing French beans, Runners and a drying type like borlotti.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, Daisy--it looks like you got a good link to explain what runnerbeans are. There are so many varieties to try.

Well Bunkie, Painted Lady was the very first Runner Bean type that I ever grew, in fact the pic illustrating how I plant the bean to germinate is a Painted Lady seed. I used it because it had a good example of the nodule.
    Those Sunsets are my absolute fav when it comes to runner beans, although I have tried several different types over the years. Aside from the flavour, I find the blooms so special. It is one of the earliest fruiting of the runner bean sorts.

EJ, I will also do some climbing French beans this year to suppliment what I freeze-in of the runners and broadies. It's nice to have a variety.

Eileen, I have never tried either type that your man is thinking of trying this year. I noticed that one of them was a low-growing type--I do not grow low ones because I just don't want to kneel to pick them. Ha ha ha...lazy, eh? :D

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

yes, thank you for the link, bluelacedredhead (love your name by the way) -- i had actually read that wiki before and it made me wonder then whether you eat the pod or just the beans... I have grown what I think of as "regular" greenbeans where you eat the whole pod, and limas.... Bunkie, do you think maybe the term runner bean is just not commonly used here? I will now have to look for runner beans. How interesting. Good I will not have to think hard about how to plant the seed thanks to Sjoerd's post!!!

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've never grown beans, but Sjoerd's enthusiasm makes me want to! :D

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes Daisy, you are ment to eat the pod with the beans inside. They are best when picked young.

You are sweet Droopy. Do you think that beans will grow up there? I wonder if you get enough heat...light would not be a problem-- ;)

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

daisybeans, i've always seen the runner beans in the seed catalogs since 89, and grew Scarlet Runners every year, and have been trying other types for a few now. i think they were there, but i never noticed them. i was starting to look for 'different' veggies for market and those intrigued me!

sjoerd, as well as eating them as fresh green beans, we also let some of the pods grow huge and dry them, on the vine if possible, and use the big dried beans for cooking, like in chili and such. the Scarlet Runners produce huge beans and they're such beautiful colors!

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds good, Bunkie. I have never dried and eaten them that way. That's quite clever of you.