Sad in Indiana

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by margie12u, Apr 13, 2009.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Oh I have had so much rain and hail today my shade garden I worked so hard on is under water, Anybody have any ideas on what to do, I'm so upset W'eve put 5 loads of dirt in there and it looked really level and good, Im sad just to look at it. Any ideas please
    Thank you Margie :'(

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Had you already put in plants? If so, then start pulling them up and potting them in dry soil.

If not then there isn't much you can do except wait for the water to soak in, run off and/or evaporate.

Good luck, hope the water drains quickly.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

As you know Holland is a 'low country', an as such drainage here and there is necessary. Most fields require drainage measures and even our lottie has drainage.

We accomplish this by back-hoeing a deep trench(about thigh-deep), puta foot or so of gravel in the bottom and on top of that a drainage pipe with holes in the top of it to let the warter drain into from above. The water drips into the pipe through the small holes and trickles away doen the pipe (in our case to a small canal), but in your case perhaps to a storm drain or the ditch beside your street or road.

I know that this may seem exaggerated to you, but it's normal here as I said...and it works. I do not know what this procedure would cost, but once done it would solve your problem for the ensuing 20 or more years, that's for sure.