....Say Goodnight, Gracie

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We finally got the snow here in Nederland...not like the crippling snow that fell in Scotland (although thee were places and there were some stranded travellers as well).
    Here there was some snow and ice, but not enough to keep one from one's appointed duties. I can't recall the last time schools were closed because of the weather--we just don't do it.

This weekend I ventured out to visit the saturday market downtown where picking were slim--some stands were not set up at all.
    ...Still I was able to find some PJ's and croissants.
    That was about it, though.

Yesterday there was a sort of break in the weather and so out to the lotties I went. I hopped onto the bike and peddled out there. The weather had warmed-up and the snow and ice became quite sloshy, but the bike paths and streets were clean...it was only the paths on the complex--they were quite bad. When I went down my path I saw that there was only one bike that had proceeded me, and a few foot prints in the snow.

When I got down there to my plots, I saw that the bike belonged to Nelleke--she was in her shed with the wood-stove burning and she was chipping on a stone sculpture.

I stepped over the fence and made my up to the shed. I could see that the bird feeders were pretty much empty. There were hundreds of prints all over the place. I could not identify them, other than to say that they were bird prints. I did see some other curious prints though--I say "prints"; however, it was a trail actually--no isolated prints. Have a look:
    [​IMG]
    The trail runs from left to right.

Here you can see that the trail disappears under a roofing tile...and comes out the other side.
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea what it is. I thought it was a rat, but now I don't think so. Perhaps something in the weasel family. I just don't know.
    I would have thought of a hedgehog, except that he would have no way of getting onto my lottie. I have seen some digging here and there, but it doesn't go really deep.
    I am stumped--do any of you guys have any ideas?

Looking over at the old veggie garden you can cee that the glass panes are now out of the greenhouse and the beds are all covered with snow.
    [​IMG]

The New lottie is also quietly tucked-in for a season of slumber.
    [​IMG]

I had some tea and watched the birds since I had re-filled their seed silos. It was so nice, quietly sitting there drinking my tea and observing the birds. It is true that one seems to hear more things in the crisp, cold air of the winter--one becomes aware of nature on a minute and clear scale.
    I eventually got cold and I almost thought that I could hear the plots breathing in that rhythmical manner...asleep for the winter.

....Say good night, Gracie--

eileen, Droopy, cuatro-gatos and 3 others like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You gave us all a wonderful trip to your winter gardens--thank you!
    I enjoy the early dawn in winter. Going out to the barn to waken the chickens, I can hear the cattle a half-mile away, and the rustle of the juniper trees. Sound does carry better in cold weather!

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a calming and serene lottie visit that was. Everything all tucked in for the winter, you can almost hear the sigh before the snoring begins ;)

The 'Say Goodnight, Gracie' caught me by surprise, I didn't think you were old enough to have heard their radio program or seen their TV show.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm glad that you liked the trip, MG--

I haven't heard a radio show or seen a Telly show...but I have seen clips that they show over here from time to time about old musicians, actors comedy and so-forth....I like old stuff.
    Do you reckon that my lotties really snore? How rude of the, hahaha.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

One of the reasons I enjoy the snow is to see what kind of critters have been in my yard. I find trails like yours Sjoerd, and it usually turns out to be mice.
    I'm curious about why you remove the glass from the greenhouse?

6. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh what calmness and it just put a smile on my face.
    I agree with Toni about the calm and sereneness of your winter garden.
    Thanks for taking us on the trip through the winter garden. (I needed it)

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh how I'd like it if we had just the amount of snow you have. We've just had another foot of the white stuff today and there's yet more to come. I'm glad you can still get around and hope that you don't have to contend with any more than you have already.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great pics sjoerd! i can't make out the tracks on that critter you have. i was thinking maybe a squirrel would hide in a tile like that? any acorns inside?! :D

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your lottie looks lovelier in summer, but I guess it needs it's beauty sleep. :)

I have no idea what kind of critter that made your tracks, but hedgehogs hibernate through winter so I don't think it's one of those.

Are the canals frozen solid yet? Have you dug out your skates? :D

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well NETTY--I hope that it isn't mice, for there'd be hundreds. hahaha. That's a serious trail, y'know.
    This is why I put the glass away each year---vandals, for lack of a better word:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am glad that you got all calm looking at the posting, PALMPIE--I'll bet you do need some calm with that big project that you gave going on.

Sorry about the extra snow, EILEEN--

Thanks BUNKIE-- WE have no squirrels here. There is nothing under the tile--just a holed-outr space.

Hahaha...good one, DROOPY--beauty rest. hahaha. The canals are not totally frozen-over here...but up in Friesland proper they are and there have been a couple of outdoor contests already.

11. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Sjoerd, Your lottie looks very fine, even all tucked in for winter. There is something special about that first blanket of snow... and then, well let's hope there isn't too much!
    I'll bet all your feathered friends appreciated the fresh seed!

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, that vandalism is terrible. I was thinking you removed the glass because of the freezing temps there, wish it was that rather than cruel people getting their jollies from destroying the property of others.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks KAY-- Yes, there is something about the first layer of snow. It is so fresh and clean. The snowing has stopped for now and now the freezing of the slush has become the problem. Hahaha... there's no end to the fun and games in Nederland.
    Those birdies surely DID enjoy those seeds.

Yes, I knoooooow, TONI-- I was furious....if possible, more angry than JUST 'furious'.
    One year before this tragedy, I left the panes in and the water that collects at the bottom of the pane froze and broke some panes when it expanded, so I was already thinking about putting them away. There are countless greenhouses on the complex, but no one else has had this freezing problem. odd indeed.
    Anyway...yes it wass purely because of vandals. What you see here in the pics was the first day--I went back in two days and they had come back and broke the rest of them. I can't tell you how that felt--I think 'rage' was a better fit. I weighed giving up gardening. Few times have I ever been so angry.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That was a nice little break to visit the lottie. Just you and Nelleke -- must have been so peaceful there. Do you have a little woodstove in your shed too? No squirrels.... got chipmunks? I can't understand vandals either... those last pics of the glass house are so disturbing.

15. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Do they really have to be that destructive? :-x

In such a case it is better to take the extra tme and effort to stash the glass away safely for the winter.