Seed gathering.. Please help!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pinkiered, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

This morning as I sprayed my plants ,I noticed that my Balloon flowers are covered in seed pods. I plucked the largest (also kind of brownish green) and cut it open. WOW! Its packed full of tiny little seeds. I would like to harvest the seeds.

Also where and how do I find the seeds on my Snap Dragons? I dont want them to reseed in the ground as I wont be here come spring.

How do you all gather your seeds? Where do you find them? I looked under the dead Snap Dragons heads and saw nothing. When is the best time to do this?

All info on seed gathering is welcome!!!!

2. Loading...

3. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Denee when your snapdragon blooms dry up and fall off they leave behind a green pod that looks like a green pea this will dry and turn brown. When it turns brown you can take it off and it will have tiny seeds in it. Don't wait too long tho or they will fall out on the ground. Also be care and watch for ants because they are eating all my seeds out of the pods!!

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Thank you!

5. jubabe296

You are very welcome!!

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

:oops: Once I knew what to look for, I ran out there with a bowl to collect seeds. While out there with my nose in the plants and my butt in the air, I saw that there were seed pods on my petunias. :oops: I dont know how I thought petunias grew but in my mind it wasnt from seeds :oops: :oops: . So I started cutting pods from the Snap Dragons and petunias.

Now heres my question....how do I tell a snap dragon seed from a petunia seed?? :oops: :oops: I cant tell. :oops: DONT LAUGH! :oops:

[​IMG]

7. Hank

Hank Seedling

Funny thing about petunia seeds is that they don't carry their color over to next year's plants. It's kinda fun cuz you don't know what color yer gonna get.

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OH! cool! I have all colors out there and didnt even note the color of the flower the pods came from! LOL

9. jubabe296

Thanks Denee you just reminded me I need to collect the petunia seeds!!LOL! I carry envelopes around when collecting seeds and have a pen tucked behind my ear and as I collect I put each kind of seed in an envelope and write the name on the outside and then there is know guessing later what seeds they are!! And a can seal them up and not spill them before I get back inside!!

10. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OK....I guess its a newbie mistake. Live and learn.

11. jubabe296

We all have to learn somewhere!! Mine is usually through trial and error!!LOL!One good thing tho petunias and snapdragons are really pretty mixed together!!

12. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Do snap dragons carry thier color over to the seeds? Cuz they are from a all white flower. That will be very pretty.

13. Hank

Hank Seedling

Dunno. I'm too lazy to do that - I just buy 'em started.

14. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I have been collecting seed this year too. Pinkie, I have a really pretty native plant that I have some seed from, let me know if you want some, anyone else too. I also have petunia, browelia, and that red and green plant, what was it, an alstomeria, really pretty, oh, and I have lots of canna seed.

15. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OK...I have to wait to see what seeds I collect so we can trade something!

I have another question about seeds gathering...

My Asparagus Fern has seeded but the seeds are green. Do I wait until they turn brown too? They are at the very end of the stem and are about the size of a very small pea.

16. jubabe296

Sorry I don't know anything about asparagus fern!!
    Oh I will share some of the seeds I have been collecting too. Right now I have basket flower, pink and white covet garden, corposis(sp?)and queen anne's lace if anyone wants any let me know!! I didn't seperate the covet garden so you might get pink or you might get white or you might get both!!