Seedlings dying off

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by einahpets, Apr 12, 2008.

1. einahpets

einahpets New Seed

Help! I've never had this problem before when starting from seed, but it seems that this year every seed I plant is either not coming up at all, or sprouting and wilting very quickly. I don't know if it's perhaps from too much sun or what. I don't have a window to put them in, so I sit the cups out in the morning sun for about an hour. Could that be it? or is it lack of nutrients (I've always been told not to fertilize seedlings.)...

Can someone help me save my dear little Morning Glories? :'(

2. Loading...

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Well Einaphants, I don't know the weather conditions there. but seedlings are very delicate until they at least establish a second set of leaves. I start mine on a heat source, and once they look like they will be getting their second set of leaves then i move them to just a sunny window. since you don't have a sunny window, any window would do as long as you give them some light also, like a few hours in the evenings. but maybe the in-out, in-out is still too cold for them or to extreme still. They need more than just an hour of light. so turn on a few lights to help them along.

I never fertalize until i transplant to a bigger pot, and even then its not right away, i let them get established.

another thought, are you watering them to much, and then they are getting cold from the outdoors,,, could be a problem there.

but have no fear, i'm sure someone will come along and walk you right thru it and help you out fast.

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

einahpets, where is Norco? If we knew your weather conditions it would help us greatly.

Some things to remember about Morning Glories. They do not like a lot of fertilizer. If your last expected frost date has passed you can sow the seeds directly into the ground. I usually soak mine overnight in tepid water, then I put them in a baggie between layers of damp paper towels and place them on the fridge. When they sprout, just put them directly in the ground. Hope this helps.

5. einahpets

einahpets New Seed

Thanks for your reply Biita. Well, the weather has been pretty darned crazy here the last couple of months. Unseasonably hot for two weeks, then very cold the next week. My first try were with tomato and pepper seeds... they came up alright until my stepdaughter drowned the little things and then the cat pulled each of them out when I took the pots in that night! :rolleyes: My second try isn't turning out well at all and I just wonder if I should try a different method of starting the seeds..

The only room in the house I can think of putting them is the laundry room/office which has a HUGE window facing the south, BUT the room is under construction and has no insulation or climate control.

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

einahpets: for starting new seedling-you could always give this a try. I've had success with tomatoes this way.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/about9612.html
    This is the first time I have tried this but I have many flowers & vege's coming up. Some come up quicker this way then what the pkg says. Good luck.

7. cromba

cromba New Seed

Possible Answer

Take a close look at your plants. Then blow a little air across the pot surfaces. If you see any tiny black "flys" you might have fungus gnats. These are hard to get rid of because when you see one, they could have already laid 100 eggs or more. It is the larvae from the eggs that attacks the roots of the plants and they start wilting and dying off. If this is the problem, try getting them outside as much as possible. The wind will blow the little flying critters away and nature usually takes care of the rest. If they are too far gone, you'll have to start over. Get fresh potting soil and don't reuse the soil they were in. The eggs can lie dormant in the soil for a very long time...so just dump it outside where natural predators can clean it up. Hope this helps!

8. olive_green

olive_green New Seed

Maybe it does have something to do with the weather and environment you have. :stew1: Maybe you have to re-choose the flowers you have to plant depending on the weather you have at your place.

9. newyorkgardener

newyorkgardener Seedling

I second Petunia's suggestion I have such great luck with my seeds that way... :-D

10. einahpets

einahpets New Seed

Thank you all for the thoughts :D Actually, Biita did hit it right on the head; it was the constant temperature change. I keep them inside now, shifting them between two windows as the sun moves. There was one wilting, but now she's turning bright green again and standing on her own! And the other ones are starting to pop up.

Petunia + NYG: I think I will try that idea!