Seiersløk--Ramps--Wild Leeks

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Biita, May 29, 2008.

1. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Okay, i keep saying i don't know what the english for Seiersløk is so i did some looking up. Here it is.

http://theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/aprilfd.htm

This stuff is so darn good!!! Grow some if you can, and it also is so pretty when it gets full, I'll post a pic of mine when it does reach that fullness. Then eat it!!!

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I think I know a piece of forest where that grows... Wonder if it's still there. I didn't know that it was an import plant from mid-Europe, and that you find lots of it around the Bodø district. I learn something new every day here. :D

3. Biita

It grows wild all over the place here, and is a plant that thrives in the colder regions of the world. Altho i'm sure it grows in warmer climates too. but i don't know. I do know the Vikings depended on this plant alot! It was one of their main foods in soups, stews, as medicine, vitiman C, the effects onions and garlic have on the immune system as a preventative. I love this plant. I make pestos, use with meat and fish dishes, in salads, sauted and i even dry it for the winter also. Just add dry pieces to a soup or stew and instant seiersløk. lol.

This plant is everywhere up here! I see people that only use it as ornament in their yards, and just let it die back in fall,,, breaks my heart,,lol.

Did i mention i love this plant,, as much as dandelions, nettles, ect, ect.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an interesting plant, Biita.
    You know, there was someone on the forums here that mentioned that they went out into the woods to hunt for and pick leek. I remember thinking at the time, "Gosh, I didn't know leeks grew out in woods!". This must have been what they ment. Oh, who was that again. :-? I can see their avitar in my mind's eye, but not their name. Sigh.

Do folks cultivate it or grow it as ground cover in their gardens...or is it so plentidul that there's no point?

Thanks for this interesting and informative posting.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm sure I've walked past plants like that Biita. I must take a second look next time we go for a wander in the woods.

6. Biita

Up here this plant spreads like wildfire! Its everywhere. I have at least 6-7 patches of the stuff, and i have to constantly pick off the one that pop up. But thats no problem, we eat them.

The easiest way to tell, is to break a piece of the leaf off,,smell it, and if it smells like garlic and onions, then its the plant. It will get a seed ball like chives do, but much much bigger, and those little hundreds of flowers make the most awesome flavored oil for cooking. Also their on the sweet side and are good for salads or added to cooked foods. I pick that seed ball, because its a way to control the plant as best i can. but the roots just take off. Or you can do as my husband did, and just mow the offshoots down, until i read him the riot act!!