Shade memory garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Polly, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Here are some pictures of the shade garden I started this spring in memory of my mother who passed away in December. The chair and table under the tree and a couple of the roosters as well as both pink and white bleeding hearts came from her house. My husband built the fence and helped move the dirt. The old door came from a friends house - my husband built the flower box on the front and inserted the metalwork. The large rock was from the large field behind us and the stepping stones are glazed brown staves from a silo that a friend was having removed. I moved hostas from my front yard and filled in with red impatiens this year. Plan to have more perennials next year.

2. Loading...

3. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

That is very pretty & special. We have done similar with grandma's iris bulbs.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think that is indeed special Polly. It was a great idea to use items from the house because I can see how they would bring back instant memories of your Mom. I'm sure she would have loved what you did for her.

5. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Oh Polly, what an absolutely lovely setting. Do did your Mom proud. I would love to sit there and have a glass of tea and talk about our Moms.

The weeping willow is the perfect backdrop, how old is it, do you know. And the door is to die for.

Advertisement
  6. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Lovely. I'm definitely a fan of that door.

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I really like what you have done in memory of your mom .I have some things in mind for a spot for my mom and dad .They both loved plants .Roses was their love but had all kinds of plants.

8. flowie

flowie Seedling

thats wondeful... I really love the door idea...... very very special.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Really wonderful garden you have Polly. Love the door idea too.

10. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Polly I love your special place it must be very relaxing to sit there and reflect on your memories of your mom! I miss my mom so much and it is lovely to see the special place you have created for you and your mom's memories!! Good job!! I like Sharon's idea of us all sitting there with a glass of iced tea sharing memories together.That paints a wonderful image in my mind!!
    ~~Julie~~

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

It is a wonderful place to sit and think or read or rest or just sit. The neighbor says that the willow tree was cut back to the ground about 20 years ago - I imagine that is why it has several trunks. Glad you liked the door - some people thnk it is a little strange. I have another one on the north side of my garage in front of a large pine tree.