Sharing my potting shed...

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Kiasmum, May 1, 2014.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

So there I was last weekend potting on my tomato plants when I noticed some movement behind my piles of pots.I turned to see a tiny little field mouse running along one of the spars.It can't have been more that a couple of inches from nose to tail.
    TBH I'm not surprised to have them there as a couple of years ago I found a tiny little nest inside an old egg carton which was a thing of beauty,but I hadn't seen any evidence since.

Being the softie that I am I went and got a wad of spare Samoyed hair (that I always have plenty of :rolleyes: !) and just happened to leave it accessible to my tiny guest...now if only the bumblebees would set home again somewhere that would be great.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sherry8
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an interesting story. Say miss, do you think that you could get a piccie or two? I have found field mice nests in my old garden shed before and they seemed to like chewing up paper to line their nests with. Perhaps you could try that as well. hahaha.

Oh, I tried all that I could to keep those little critters from getting into the shed, but they always found a way. In the end, I finally had to get a new garden house. :D chortle.

Kiasmum likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

KM--You are far more generous than me! I do battle with the mice every year as they are so destructive here.

Henry Johnson, carolyn and Kiasmum like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have field mice in our garden too but they seem to prefer living under the shed rather than in it.
    Maybe it's because Ian has so much junk (really handy stuff that will be useful some day in his opinion) that even the mice can't find enough space to run around. :rolleyes:

carolyn, Cayuga Morning and Kiasmum like this.

Advertisement
  6. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Sjoerd, I don't think I'd even get a blur in a shot judging by the speed it achieved across the floor under the shelving :eek:

CM,I expect I would be less sympathetic if there were lots and lots of them and they were damaging my property.As far as I can see all that happens is they bring in bits of birdseed,eat it and leave the husks for me to pick up sometime.They don't even have to chew a hole to get in as the wood has shrunk over time and there are gaps that they can easily get through.

Eileen,I'm grateful that this is only a tiny little mouse as we have had much bigger rodents living under our other shed in the past (rats :scheming: ) which is why we are going to have a concrete slab put down before we get our new shed. Thankfully our efforts at making them unwelcome have paid off and they haven't been around for about three years now.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No, no...I meant a shot of any nest that you may find/have found.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kismum, you are far more generous than me, too.

When you put that new slab down be aware that rats will tunnel under the concrete, too. they are nasty vermin.

9. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Ah,OK Sjoerd, will do.

Carolyn,sadly we also know about them tunnelling under concrete as they have already done that on the opposite side of the garden.They came through from next door...that bit is also going to be strengthened when the shed base is laid.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I would have been looking for a trap.