Shasta Daisies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have a love/hate relationship with the Shasta daisies. They need dividing yearly and need to be trimmed back and/or dead headed so that they don't reseed and revert back to the wild variety. I also have trouble with them laying down. Not really flopping over just laying over other plants, kind of bully-like if they aren't in full sun throughout the day. I find I have to corral them with cages. Their height makes them a stand out. They are one of my easiest (grow well) and hardest (need yearly division and staking) perennials to keep.

[​IMG]
    Shasta Daisies ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Shasta ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

donm and donna in nc like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. gardennut
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jewell, I agree with you & I love your description of them! 'Bully-like' and flopping over'. Such unreasonable characters!

I don't always divide mine every year, but they respond very well when I do. Gives them a whole new lease on life. I have a support for mine that I use every year, just push it into the ground as they are growing & they grow up through it & hide it. The years that I haven't gotten the support there in time, I am left to try to coral them with twine, etc. Not very satisfactory.
    But, yes, they do provide such a bright spot in the garden, like headlights shining up. I think they are worth it.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Jewell and donna in nc like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a very similar daisy here called Ox-eye daisy. I have the same problems you do with your shastas but I still look forward to them flowering every year.

donna in nc likes this.
  5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

They are beautiful when in full bloom.

I had a Shasta in the bed by our front door. I finally got rid of it last autumn because I was tired of it looking hideous once the blooms began to fade, and the leaves would wilt after only a single day of not being watered (the other plants in that bed were just fine o_O) in summer. Maybe if I get a place to put another, Ill try to find a more heat-tolerant type.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I agree!!! I tried for years to get them to grow and felt like a failure. Everyone in town can grow Shasta daisies but me :-? Then, for some unknown reason, I was overrun with them :rolleyes: I have dug and divided and moved and gave away till I'm down to 2 and that is just fine!

7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I love the look of Shasta Daisies and have bunches of them. But I face the same problems - flopping over, reseeding (like weeds)