Shopping with my son

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

One of the many things I do every Christmas is go shopping with son #4, Cameron. He asks me, every year, if I'll come with him and help him shop for gifts for his siblings and his nieces and nephews. It's been going on for almost 10 years now, once he got into an earning bracket that allowed him to be generous with his money over Christmas. He's had a couple of serious girlfriends during that time (hasn't found THE ONE yet!!!) and I've asked him if he wouldn't prefer to go with her? His response is always the same, she is welcome to come along, but this is something he wants to do with me. For him it's entirely practical...he needs help with choices, sizing, practicalities etc. Because he doesn't have kids himself yet, he's a bit vague on the kinds of things his younger nieces and nephews would like. He forgets sizes for his siblings even though we do this every year. And often he just needs suggestions for things, even though we are a lists family and he has the same access to everyone's list as I do. It's fun, and sweet, and I always try and embarrass him as much as I can by dressing up in my most garish Christmas duds, and jingle bell my way through store after store! This was last year's. This year will be something similar, with the addition of a little more jingle.

IMG_6188.jpeg

Unfortunately it's raining here, or I'd go out in my Elf shoes! I wore them to dance last night, and they were a huge success! Yes, there are jingle bells on the upturned toes! :smt114:smt111
    48185550_10161372552265387_2963562777525878784_n.jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ronni please don't ever change. How I'd love to have someone just like you in my family. I'm sure Cameron isn't in the least embarrassed by your outfits or he wouldn't keep asking you to go shopping with him. You are one fun lady!! :D

Ronni likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The cutest elf I've evvuh seen!:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Ronni likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

take the elf shoes and put them on in the store.

Ronni likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Great minds Carolyn! I actually thought about that. If we’d just been going to one store I would have done it. But we’re going to be store hopping, in and out of stores in and out of the car. Too much.

I’ll have several more opportunities to wear one of my ridiculous Christmas outfits with the elfshoes before the season is over. Believe me, I’ll be taking every opportunity to look festive ;)

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Late lunch break. We’re having fun!!
    upload_2018-12-15_17-26-56.jpeg

eileen likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your son looks so proud of you and is clearly enjoying being in your company. :smt045

Ronni likes this.
  9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

You touched on something that I wanted to mention. I am so grateful for the fact that my kids enjoy spending time with me, at least that's the way it appears. They do what Cam did and make a plan to spend time, take me out for lunch, call if they happen to be on my side of town to see if they can drop in or grab a drink or a meal. I have no idea how that happened, but I am so so grateful that I have that kind of relationship with them. Even my boy in California with his wife and 4 kids makes a specific point to call or FaceTime frequently, he's the one that takes me on the fabulous vacations, that kind of thing.

I know so many parents my age whose relationships with their kids are not close, not the way mine is with my children. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that we lived through great hardship together with their Dad and his abuse and control, and we all stood for each other and with each other against their Dad, and had each other's backs.

Whatever the reason, I am profoundly grateful for these children of mine, and the close and loving relationship I have with each of them. :heart:

10. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@Ronni, I like the shoes with the upturned toes. You would have looked fabulous in the local Christmas parade here.