Shrub ID for customer

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Kay, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I was sent these images from a customer, and i can't seem to name this plant. I am usually better at ID when I am physically present...
    Anyone know what I'm looking at?
    Zone 5, October, obvious stress on leaves from our brutal heat and drought this year.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )
    Sorry about the sideways view.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Kay's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Kay

I do not know about blooming. My feeling is that it a common shrub that I am just not processing in my mind via photo.
    This landscape here is not what you would call "high end" and this usually means it is a common plant found at nurseries and box stores.
    I don't see many Hawthorns in landscapes I work in, nor at local nurseries.
    When I first viewed it I thought it is a Euonymus Burning Bush. On further thought I have ruled it out. I also wonder if it is Privet.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It looks like a heavily pruned or compact lilac. I can't really tell what size the leaves truly are. maybe?

Advertisement
  6. Kay

It could be a Lilac.
    Heavily pruned is right! It's a funny shape!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ooops, I forgot what zone you are in. The Indian Hawthorn is widely used down here and I just checked - it's only hard to zone 8 :rolleyes:

8. Kay

I just spoke to my boss about this mystery shrub. He told me she said it turns yellow in the spring. She didn't specify that the yellow were blooms, but I hope that is why it would be yellow! :p So we thought Forsythia, even though I don't think it looks like Forsythia... Not like the one I have in my backyard anyway.
    She wants us to cut it way back, like taking half the plant. I am hesitant to do that heavy of a prune this time of year as we are having below 32°F temps overnight. I told her that we would try to ID it, that really helps to know when the proper pruning time is. Or we can wait till it is completely dormant.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kay, This is not a forsythia. There is a yellow lilac, I do believe. I also wouldn't advise to prune it at this time of the year. If it blooms in the spring it sets its buds soon after the blooms are spent. Then is the time to prune it. If it blooms in the summer/fall now is the time to prune it. You could cut some of it back if absolutely necessary, but you will cut off the blossoms, too. If she doesn't care go ahead and cut it off by 1/3. More than that may harm it, I am not saying it definately will, but it is possible.

10. Kay

Thanks Carolyn, I can't tell you how many times I must explain proper pruning procedures to customers (and my boss too! He isn't a plant guy)
    So many folks want Lilacs, Forsythias, Quince and other spring bloomers pruned up in the Fall.
    I am thinking I just may have to do a drive-by this property to see it in person, and if I can't tell what it is, I could take some more photos for my GS friends to contemplate further.