Small Mounding Shrub Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by lpyrbby, Sep 8, 2011.

1. lpyrbby

lpyrbby New Seed

I only have one "joining" neighbor to concern myself with where I live which I'm thankful for. My house was supposed to be a corner lot but they didn't continue the street as they were originally going to. Because of this, my house is angled funny and it's hard to visually determine property lines.

My neighbor and I apparently have an intermittent silent battle on where we think the property line is that "connects" our two yards when it comes to mowing the yard. Instead of continuing this silent battle, I think the best idea is to plant small shrubs along the properties (in the front yards mind you) so that neither of us have to worry about where "exactly" we should be mowing the yard. The shrubs would draw that line for us essentially. I DO plan on discussing my plant plans with them prior to just doing the work so we can try to come to a mutual agreement since they're also homeowners and in general courteous people.

I'm looking for a bush that will get from about 18" to no more than 36" in height and takes on more of a mounding shape. I'm bored with the typical boxwood stuff and really don't want anything that's as "flowering" as say, an Azalea. I live in Zone 8 and the location in question would be in primarily full sun with relatively well draining soil. I do have a mostly clay base starting about 6-8 inches down. I'm looking for a plant that also keeps its roots relatively shallow since there are underground power lines close to that area. I intend to have the lines marked again before digging just to be sure.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Limemound Spirea. I like its general color scheme and it sounds like it would accept the area I want to plant it in. When it does flower, the flowers appear to be relatively small which I appreciate.

The Moonlight Burkwood Daphne also sounds intriguing but it also sounds like it may struggle a bit in the location I'm talking about. I could also be getting it confused with others I've looked at.

Any thoughts or other considerations on what I might look at possible planting for this property border?

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The only thing that I have growing that might fit your criteria is a Salvia greggii/Red Autumn Sage.
    I only planted it this year. It's handled our heat and dryness pretty well in it's mostly sunny location. Pretty little flowers. An internet search can tell you more about it.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have two
    Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Flame Acanthus, Hummingbird Bush) out front. They have grown to between 2-3 feet tall and wide.

Also, get a surveyor out to find the property line, that will prevent any further discussion and future problems. If one of you sells their house and the plants are on the wrong side of the property line the buyer could cause you more problems than you are having now.

carolyn likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here's a website that you may find useful. You can see the pictures and read up about each shrub and its growing habits. I hope you find some that meet with your requirements. :-D

Edited as I forgot to actually put in the link. :oops:

http://www.wilsonbroslandscape.com/Shrubs.htm

Miss Liberty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. lpyrbby

lpyrbby New Seed

Site? ;)

Also, Toni, I was already thinking about the property line concern and I still do. I guess I figure the worst that could happen is the bushes would have to be moved which wouldn't be fun, I know, but would be far more easy to handle than say, a fence or driveway.

The section where the bushes would go is at the property line "away" from our driveways and such. It would really be closer to mine if anything. Ultimately, they would be furthest from my neighbors so should have very little impact on them at all, if any. Well, except for how much grass they have to mow ;)

I have also considered planting them more on "my" side but my only concern with that is that they all of a sudden won't agree on what's their responsibility to mow and still expect me to go mow a ridiculous sliver of grass because they refuse. This is a lot of the reason I do want to talk to them and also include them in on bush selections and placement. I'd like to be able to take three "top picks" to them and get their opinion and see if we can come to an agreement on plant location and care/responsibility. I'd love if they helped with trimming the bushes as may be necessary on their side of them, but really don't expect it.

Another thing I'm wondering, should I consider a mulch bed for the bushes too? I figured I'd get the flexible plastic landscape border to help define and contain the area some if I went that way.

That's my other hesitation with going with the Limemound Spirea because it seems as though there are times when it'll practically be the same color as my grass! I've been eyeballing the Purple Shamrock plant to add some interest under the bushes but I'm worried about how much it's going to try to travel on me considering my location. I've seen a lot of plants used for ground cover really like to take off and RUN in this area and I'd hate to plant something I have to chase all the time...I already have Kudzu out in the back woods area along with a dozen or so varying vines.

Anyway, off to do some more looking and thinking for other alternatives :) I love the reddish yellow types but with other things I'm planning to plant in the yard, I think it'll be too heavy a "theme" (an unintended one!) if I choose something with those colors.

I'll try to get a picture of the area in question when I go home for lunch today. Thanks everyone :)

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl's suggestion of salvia greggii is a good one. They come in white, raspberry, red, and coral; need to be pruned back by about 1/3 in July and January; are evergreen here in central Texas (zone 8); and are drought resistant and can take part shade or full sun.
    Have you considered Knock-out roses? There is a large color range available, and the original ones are hardier. They don't require dead-heading and are pretty disease resistant.
    You will definitely need to mulch the shrub bed. May I suggest that since you are hitting clay a few inches down and have utility lines there, that you raise the bed a few inches? You don't need to do much other than dig a shallow trench around the area, tossing the soil on the bed, then raking the soil even. After planting, mulch with 3-4" of good mulch and the bed will look great!

8. lpyrbby

lpyrbby New Seed

[​IMG]

So, that's a streetside view of the area in question. My yard to the right, neighbor to the left. My grass grows FAST and drives me right up the wall so I'm not opposed at all to finding things to plant in the yard that will afford me LESS grass to mow.

Anywho, I'm not a fan of roses much at all (I know, I'm an ODD ONE) and the less "flowering" the shrub is, the better. The salvia looks neat but I'm not sure I want it in this area. Although I do have someone willing to give me some ;)

And yes, I do think I'll do a bit of a bed of sorts. Just need to figure out what I want to put there!