Small Stump Removal

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hello Everyone,
    My daughter has a cluster of little stumps from 1/4 inch up to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. There are about 30-40 in the cluster and they are cut even with the ground. I cannot dig them up and was wondering if there is anything I can put on them to rot them as quick as possible? We do NOT want them to grow back and plan on putting grass seed down in their place.
    She just bought a house and the previous owner cut them so they would not block her view when backing out of the driveway. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm not sure if this will work in September in New York, but I have had luck getting rid of stumps by making cross cuts (hatch marks) on the top and putting a very high nitrogen fertilizer on the stump. I don't know how fast you want these to rot, but here in the warmth of Texas it usually takes about two months until the stump is rotten enough that pieces can be picked out of it by hand.
    There are commercial products on the market also. If you go to a hardware store or a big-box, there should be something there for your stump problem.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hubby swears that putting butter milk on stumps will rot them. I've never seen it done or tried it.
    My brother has been using some sort of chemical to kill tallow trees... but I think it takes up to a year to rot away the stumps and it will kill any vegetation it touches. If you're interested, I can ask him the name of it.

5. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Marlingardener & Cherylad,
    Thank you both very much. I will go over my daughters house and chop into the stubs and put some fertilizer on them. Again, thank you.
    I hope you were both spared from the storms.