Snow Day !! Head for the kitchen !!

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by mart, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ok,, Nothing outside we can do with six inches of snow on the ground,, thought I would see what everyone is cooking on these cold days.
    Mine was a big pot of chili. Already had a caramel bread pudding & sauce done.
    We have a few more cold days,, I need ideas.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. glendann
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Taco Soup
    One of our favorites, we ate it so many times a few years ago that we got tired of it. But it smells heavenly and will make you extremely hungry before it's time to eat, for heavens sake do not make this overnight or you won't make it till morning before eating it.

We also love Bean, Rice and Cornbread or a big pot of New England Clam Chowder .
    Oh, also, get a jar of Chili Sauce (it's called ketchup with a kick on the shelf with ketchup) an equal amount of Grape Jelly. Stir them together in a slow cooker till the jelly starts to melt, then add either a package of frozen meatballs or a couple of packages of Lil' Smokies. Cook for a couple of hours and serve over rice.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beef Stew Gaston! Take a chuck roast, cut it into 2" cubes with fat trimmed off. Render the fat in a heavy Dutch oven and brown the meat in the fat. Spoon off any remaining fat, dust the meat cubes with seasoned flour (flour, a bit of salt, and some pepper).
    Meanwhile, put 1 c. tomato sauce, 1 c. beef boullion, a diced medium onion, a bay leaf, and 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme or 1 1/2 tsp. of fresh thyme in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
    Pour the tomato/boullion mixture over the beef cubes, cover and let simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours. During the last hour, add 1/2 c. of dry white wine.
    If you like, cut potatoes, carrots, and celery into chunks and cook until almost done. Add to the Dutch oven for the last half-hour of cooking. This is only improved by sitting overnight in the fridge.
    Guaranteed to cure the cold weather blues!

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Toni,, have you tried the grape jelly half and half with B-B-Q sauce and a bit of hot pepper, then add the smokies. Great for snaking or parties. I love beans and cornbread anytime, and taco soup. This cold weather I have been craving french onion soup with a big slice of swiss cheese on top.

That beef stew is almost like mine but I add a can of stewed tomatoes or the ones I make in season. and the vegetables. Hubby doesn`t like celery so I leave that out,,might add okra since I have a bunch. Make a pan of cornbread and eat.

6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

As the snow came down, I made a pot of Hearty Potato soup, and then a huge batch of oatmeal cookies. Yum
    I love to have the kitchen warm and cookin when there's nasty weather outside. :)