Snow Drops in Full Bloom

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Two years ago I started the clandestine removal of a large clump of snowdrops destined to be plowed under for new construction of a pet cancer treatment center. Two years running in the early spring when they were blooming I would take my shovel and remove a box of flowering snow drops. The area they once were is now covered over by the new building.

This is the first year my little orchard area has a light covering of spring snowdrops. In fact I have snowdrops in places i don't really remember putting them, but the bulbs were small and seemed way too numerous as I tried to get them back into the ground.

This is the only snow we've seen this year

Attached Files:

Perennial Paul, Frank and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Palustris
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Palustris
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hate it when plants get covered in concrete or bulldozed. I'm so glad you rescued the snowdrops from a grisly end. Now that they've begun flowering for you you'll begin to see them spreading every year. I have snowdrops in strange places too and put it down to the squirrels and birds moving them. I don't mind though as they are welcome anywhere in the garden.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Eileen, squirrels! That is the answer! They are always in my pots and I hadn't thought of them moving the little bulbs. There had been soooo many, and I did get tired of finding places to put them but i couldn't imagine how or why the snowdrops would end up in the center of a bed. Thanks for the answer to a little mystery.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

They sure a pretty! That's my kinda "snow".